Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your STEERING HEAD BEARING greased??? Don't rely on the Stealer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:26 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is your STEERING HEAD BEARING greased??? Don't rely on the Stealer!!!

Here's a few excerpts from other threads: https://www.hdforums.com/m_714614/tm.htm

I called harley tech in WI. and told them I had to pump a ton of grease into the fitting until it started to come out at the top and bottom of the neck (as indicated in the service manual) then I stopped. I ask why so much grease and they told me at the plant they grease the bearings as the front end is being assembled and when the 1000 mile service is done it takes a lot of grease because you are filling the entire neck. Well anyway I have put almost 3000 miles and the grease isn't coming out no problem here.
Too tight head bearings also give this feel, which is notchy steering.

https://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=1845109

dchoran describes the issue almost to a "T".
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;

NOW MY COMMENTS:

I have a stabilityproblem with my '05 Ultra.Coming from my front end.

Always feels like I am riding on a minor grooved surface sort of. Just doesn't seem to go straight and steady even at 30 mph in the city.Not as solid as athousand miles ago. Seems to sway WAY TOO EASILY in even light wind. REALLY SUCKS.Used to be rock solid.
Not really a wobble or balance feel but more like that blown around feeling you getwhen you are passing a fewsemi's on the hiway.

Anybody else experience this??? Would like to know what is going on BEFORE I bring it to the stealer so I am there only once.

Could it be the front tire??? Is adjusting the steering head bearing a typical service - wouldn't think so???

13,000 miles on the scoot- Dunlops - original front tire with lots of rubber yet- new rear at 9M mi. - only rider - babied.

THANKS!!!

PS followup: The service manual talks about the vehicles ability to ABSORB weave and/or wobble depending on how tight or loosethe steering head bearing is. Hmmmm. My problem feels definitely like a "weave" (too tight) or as somebody above coined "notch steering". Hopefully the dealergreased the steering head bearing on my 1000 miservice. If they didn't, maybe it just needs grease to loosen it up??? Can't be that simple can it??? Anybody been there, done that one and seen a difference??? HD wrenches???

PSS followup: So I look closely at my zerk tonight - no trace of any grease whatsoever on this thing or at the top/bottom of the neck??? Dealer must have "forgot" to do itat the 1000 mileservice.Nice. So 12,000 miles with an essentially "empty" steering head/neck. Maybe that is my problem. Makes sense now. The bearings are probably a little dry or sticky (hopefully not worn) and that is causing the notched steering or weave feel. I'll find out tomorrow - bet it'll take 40 or 50 pumps.Headed for the hiway....Stay tuned.

PSS final followup: WHOLLY BUCKWHEAT!!! There wasNO grease in my steering head today whatsoever!!!I bought the HD 99857-97 grease and proceeded to pump it in the head as per the service manual - till it comes out top and bottom. 87 pumps (yes, that is right: eighty seven) - NO SH$T - almost 14 oz of grease!!! The freakin stupid a$$ dealer NEVER did it at the 1000 mile servicelike they were suppose to!!!BONE DRY FOR 12,000 MILES.[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

[b][size=4]Much more

Old 06-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Is your STEERING HEAD BEARING greased??? Don't rely on the Stealer!!!

The RoadGlide steering head bearing zerk is "protected" by a housing with a notch in it. To get grease in the bearing, it takes a 90* grease fitting on a flexible hose. I have pumped some into mine, but not near the quantity you have.....I find it hard to believe that the capacity of that area is so large. Unlike the Ultra there isn't a "tray" that the excess grease remains in....at least it isn't visible from the floor looking up.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? My bike is still doing the "Hula". Into the service bay it goes on Tuesday for inspections.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:56 PM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is your STEERING HEAD BEARING greased??? Don't rely on the Stealer!!!

..just means steering head wasn't full of grease..all that really needs any grease is the bearings...not like wheel bearings, they isn't muchspinning going on. I've seen bikes with a lot of miles that never saw any bearing grease and were all fine (bearings weren't dry). Steering head adjustment seems like it would have a lot more to do with how bike handles than steering head full of grease. I greased my bearings when I had it apart for chrome lower changeout and I just greased bearings and didn't fill neck.
Later

Old 06-30-2007, 07:04 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

yep dealer missed mine too. got about 50-60 pumps in it and stoped cause my arm got tiredwill hit it again next year

Old 06-30-2007, 07:46 PM
cwilks
Banned

No way I'm filling up that neck with grease andtake a chance on it leaking all over my scooter.......F it I'll take my chances, I've built 2 scooters and never had to take the neck bearings out to re-grease them. If it F's up the dealer can replace them under warranty

Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

No way I'm filling up that neck with grease andtake a chance on it leaking all over my scooter.....
cwilks:

Get the right stuff and you won't have to worry. Even three weeks later, and after 87 pumps and 90+ temps, 1500 miles - not an atom of thatgrease has hit my scoot anywhere.

As a matter of fact, I used this stuff to lubricate a 5 ft. metal pole to keep the chipmunks from raidingthe hangingbird feeder, This grease is in 100% sunlight / heat all day and it hasn't "melted"a bit. Very stable grease - not affected by temp. One thing Harley did right!!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be so fast to blame your dealer for not filling the steering head tube with a couple of pounds of the wrong grease. You'd be back in a couple of days complaining about THAT! Only the bearings need to be greased - if you have pumped the steering head full of grease, you'll be wiping it off your front fender until you sell the bike - then the next lucky guy will have to do the same. Why they ever put a grease fitting there is beyond me - no way should the neck be filled with grease. The best way to insure the life of the steering head bearings is to keep them properly adjusted - not filled with grease.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to see ya still hanging around Ted. I agree, no need to fill the neck with grease.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Tech2
Tourer

Ditto to all the 'non-greasers'. I haven't greased mine, nor do I intend on doing so. My indy mechanic says it's not necessary and just makes a mess out of your bike. That's good enough for me. Even in the 'Fix My Hog' DVD they say if you grease the neck to just hit it with a few pumps and quit.

(There's some kind of dirty joke in there, I think. [8D])

Old 07-20-2007, 07:28 AM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the entire neck is bone dry, a few pumps won't do $hit. Have you ever seen how much grease comes out with a few pumps? How far do you think it's going to travel in the neck? You guys that aren't greasing will be okay for a while but will be replacing bearings down the road. Use the right grease and you won't have a problem. A few pumps will only help if it was greased properly the first time.

Quick Reply: Is your STEERING HEAD BEARING greased??? Don't rely on the Stealer!!!