Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 Ultra Classic - Neutral Light inop

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 11:38 PM
wharfcreek
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, finally some good weather and some time, both together, and able to get this completed. After confirming no problem with ground source supply at the neutral switch itself, and then confirming the was in fact 'making connection' TO ground, I removed the front of the faring to begin the next and final stage of this project. Gaining access to the bulb assembly for my year bike wasn't too hard. As it turned out, the Original Owner (I'm actually 3rd owner) had added a Satellite Tuner to the Radio system......and the interface box was mounted on top of the radio body itself, blocking the Indicator Light strip. So, had to remove that....which I wanted 'gone' anyway as I really had no use for it. Once it and all associated wiring was removed, there was a rather large conduit of wiring harness that still ran across the top of the radio, but it could be just pushed back out of the way. When access was finally achieved, it was simply a matter of snapping back some 'paddle' type retainers; 2 on top of the strip and 2 on the bottom. This released the front of the lamp assembly from the back, with the Faring body sandwiched in between. I then simply unplugged the block connector and took it into my home shop for further testing. Simply probing the cavities with a 12V supply source revealed that the center lamp, the 'neutral' lamp, was in fact burned out. Using some small hemostats I have that are 'rubber coated', I was able to get sufficient grip on the bulb to be able to extract it from the socket assembly. Taking it to the local auto-parts store, I came up with 2 viable types for a replacement; one being a #37....which may actually be the 'correct' one and with a wattage rating of like 1.3 watts. The other was a #24 I believe, which was slightly larger and had wattage rating of like 3.2 watts. When I compared 'brightness' of both bulbs to the others in the strip, the #24 seemed to be closer in illumination intensity, but it wouldn't fit through the front of the socket assembly. BUT, if I popped the single socket out of the back, plugged the bulb in, then pushed everything in through the back, while it was a tight fit, it seemed to work fine. So, that's the bulb I used. Perhaps the wrong one, and if I'd have had the HD replacement here I would have just used it and gone on my merry way. But, I didn't ....... so this is it for now. I might mention that this bulb being a NON HD part DOES have the potential of perhaps being a bit hotter if left 'on' for any great length of time.....and thus potentially distorting that whole socket assembly. But,..... I'll risk it. It's not a fire hazard IMHO......so.....it'll work. Anyway, re-fitted the assembly to the faring, plugged in the connector, and problem solved!! As it turned out, the real 'bitch' to the job was properly reinstalling the two lower faring screws....which didn't want to thread in easily without cross-threading. After about 45 minutes of fighting with those two screws....completion of the project was achieved. In taking the GF for a ride later this afternoon, everything seemed to work fine! All things considered this wasn't too bad a job, though the poor weather and my need to be working 'outside' certainly had a hand in delaying the overall process. Were I able to have done all this in one fell swoop, I think it would have only taken me about 2 hours overall. Considering this as the first time I've ever had the front off of one of these things....it will certainly go more quickly next time. Anyway.....that's it! The story comes to an end here.......and now I can go begin another thread on some 'starter' woes with yet another one of these bikes I just purchased......an '07 Ultra that has been BADLY neglected!! Thanks to all who contributed here and in particular Mr. 14GP for all his help. Best to all! Tom D.

The following users liked this post:
14GuineaPig (10-01-2018)