Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eastern Oklahoma riding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018 | 01:27 PM
jjkrueg
|
Tourer
Default Eastern Oklahoma riding?

Have a 4 day trip coming up, live in Iowa. Our old stand by is Wisconsin but thinking of trying something different this time. We've done Arkansas but wife rides now and I'm afraid some of the best roads in Arkansas might be a little too technical yet so I was wondering about eastern OK. Never been there. What can I expect? Scenery and roads good? Must ride roads? Anyone that can compare it to Wisconsin or Arkansas would be helpful too. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-19-2018 | 01:39 PM
bigkahuna479
Novice

I traveled last year to eastern OK. was great roads loved it there is a place in western arkansas called natural dam the ride there was great all the roads we were on was good

Old 09-19-2018 | 02:09 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member

I hate oklahoma. Flat, dry, and red dirt. If that your thing your golden. I like hills and curves

Old 09-19-2018 | 02:48 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

I like Oklahoma, but pretty and scenic, in the conventional sense, don't really apply.

That said, google search "oklahoma scenic" and look at what you find.

Old 09-19-2018 | 02:59 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Old 09-19-2018 | 03:11 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

From Tulsa east to Arkansas, and from Kansas to the Texas borders, there's plenty of riding to do for a few days. Talimena Drive is good. But on the weekends theres always slow traffic it seems like in front of me lol Most weekends we head out for a 200-300 mile day rides... Not much flat or red over in this area, but go west and the landscape does change.
There is no mountains, more hill country (although I'm sure some of the hills "qualify" as a mountain lol)... but plenty of decent two lane roads all down the east side of the state, that I think is a little mellower than the north-western to central Arkansas area(not quite as hilly, not quite as twisty). Mostly we stay off anything with two or more lanes in either direction, unless we're using it to get to another two lane road. The highways & turnpikes are fine, but tend to be boring unless you just need to get from one place to the other. BTW... Bikes, Blues & BBQ over in Arkansas is coming up next week I think.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 09-19-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2018 | 04:02 PM
jjkrueg
|
Tourer

We did the Fayetteville rally a few years ago when my wife was riding on my bike. I'd do that again but just don't think she's ready for that yet on her deluxe. I'm still leaning towards Wisconsin but this is plan b based on rain forecast or temps. Looking at google maps with terrain the far east side of Oklahoma looks good from north to south. I do a buddies golf trip at monkey island Oklahoma every spring, that's as far south as I've been in Oklahoma.

Old 09-19-2018 | 05:17 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior

Quick, get a https://www.butlermaps.com/product-c...le-maps/ozark/. It includes Eastern Oklahoma and the roads are rated so you can choose your own routes.

Old 09-19-2018 | 05:43 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

get on the Road Trip forum and check/ask there..... that's all traveling and you'll get some good input

Old 09-19-2018 | 05:45 PM
kegrill
Cruiser

I rode eastern OK last spring. It was way more scenic than I expected. I was used to the other part of OK where it is flat and red. The eastern side is basically an extension of the Ozarks though, maybe not as hilly and twisty. I will ride there again for sure.

Last edited by kegrill; 09-19-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Eastern Oklahoma riding?