Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eastern Oklahoma riding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018 | 05:48 PM
BackRoader
Road Master

Right on PopsHD. Talimena byway is one not to miss. Incredible scenery. Hills and curves, but mild and all but no traffic.

The following users liked this post:
PopsHD (09-19-2018)
Old 09-20-2018 | 09:27 AM
Rockitdude
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jshopes
I hate oklahoma. Flat, dry, and red dirt. If that your thing your golden. I like hills and curves
I used to think the same thing about Oklahoma (being from Texas we always look for a good reason to make fun of OK). But, southeastern Oklahoma is beautiful....Beavers Bend State Park, Broken Bow, the Ouachita Mountains....great riding. I like Arkansas better, but far eastern OK along the Ok/Arkansas state line is great riding.

Old 09-20-2018 | 09:52 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jshopes
I hate oklahoma. Flat, dry, and red dirt. If that your thing your golden. I like hills and curves
you obviously don't know anything about Oklahoma. You judge from what little you know. Yes there is flat, dry and red dirt. West/Central Oklahoma matches exactly that. But we have many other areas of this state that are much different than that. Some are very scenic.

The following users liked this post:
mitchxout (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018 | 10:15 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain

To the OP, If you decide to come to Oklahoma look at some of the following hwys.
59 - from Grove to Kansas
10 - from kansas to Tahlequah
82 - Tahlequah to Vian
all of these are nice roads with some very good scenery. not to technical for the wife

further on south
take I-40 west a little ways, then
2 - south through Wilburton till you get to hwy 1 (you will pass Robbers Cave State Park... worth a little inspection)
take hwy 1 east through Talihina. past Talihina it turns into "the Talimena Scenic Dr."

Find your way down to Broken Bow / Hochatown area (on hwy 259)
very beautiful area. Hochatown is very scenic and turning into a tourist hot spot. Broken Bow Lake is the prettiest lake in the state and maybe even the region.
Lots of cabins that are rented in the area.

Old 09-20-2018 | 12:26 PM
jjkrueg
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by SilverEagle50
To the OP, If you decide to come to Oklahoma look at some of the following hwys.
59 - from Grove to Kansas
10 - from kansas to Tahlequah
82 - Tahlequah to Vian
all of these are nice roads with some very good scenery. not to technical for the wife

further on south
take I-40 west a little ways, then
2 - south through Wilburton till you get to hwy 1 (you will pass Robbers Cave State Park... worth a little inspection)
take hwy 1 east through Talihina. past Talihina it turns into "the Talimena Scenic Dr."

Find your way down to Broken Bow / Hochatown area (on hwy 259)
very beautiful area. Hochatown is very scenic and turning into a tourist hot spot. Broken Bow Lake is the prettiest lake in the state and maybe even the region.
Lots of cabins that are rented in the area.
Lots of good info here, thank you!

Old 09-20-2018 | 12:53 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Well, I'll go ahead and say I find western Oklahoma interesting, scenic and worth traveling. But it's not scenic, in the conventional sense. It's different.

Small towns with some of the oldest traffic lights I've ever seen. Rotary units that slowly rotate a green and red lens. Soda shops where many times a stranger will plop down in front of you and say "you ain't from around here, my name is ___" and stick their hand out to shake. Rivers that you can walk across without getting your knees wet. Desert rose rocks. Buffalo herds roaming free. Places where when you shut down all you hear is the wind across the ground. Beautiful tiny flowers. Get up early and you can hear a crow sing. Not caw, sing. Old abandoned towns, still standing. House dealerships. Huge trains.

So no, there are no tall trees, no forests, no mountains, no waterfalls. But it's still right interesting, in its own right.

The following 2 users liked this post by foxtrapper:
kegrill (09-23-2018), SilverEagle50 (09-20-2018)