Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Street Glide Special, No crank everything powers up

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Fleetmgr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2017 Street Glide Special, No crank everything powers up

To keep it simple, Im very skilled mechanic 32 years, have a degree and a wall full of certifications, that means nothing if you can solve a problem. Now I have a 2017 FLHXS battery died would not crank just click, been have problems with this battery for a few weeks, so i replaced it, bike will not crank everything powers up, checked all fuses there good, fuel pump primes up, have power at the coil, im thinking the problem is security system? service manual dont say what the readings should be to check at the BCM. HELP!!!!!

Old 09-15-2018, 11:38 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 768 Likes on 521 Posts

Try starting with the PIN, that eliminates the FOB as a problem. Next step, call the dealer to pick it up and fix it under warranty. A one year old battery shouldn't be giving problems, there may be a low grade constant drain that needs to be found and fixed.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Fleetmgr
6th Gear

Tried PIN same results, battery is 2 years old, this bike has give small problems with the security system ever since i had it, it will go off and still crank sometimes till now, when i installed the battery the alarm set off, had to disconnect it to stop the alarm, make no since.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:01 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

If the turn signals aren't flashing it ain't the secirity system. In fact if the display works on the infotainment system and the head light comes on, security has disables correctly.

You can try and jump the small wire on the starter to the big terminal and see if the motor cranks. I would suspect that either there is a bad connection wire to the BCM. It looks like the BCM powers the starter directly..Reseat the connectors. Also the starter button could be bad. Not sure how you troubleshoot this without a can bus sniffer or HD diagnostic tool. Does the right turn signal work? That means the can bus is working properly, Is the bike in Neutral? Neutral light on?

Old 09-15-2018, 01:21 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Is the neutral light on and the kill switch in run? Simple stuff I know but maybe. Also for grins try it with the clutch pulled in and also in neutral. Kick stand switch maybe.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:26 PM
Fleetmgr
6th Gear

Thats just it, everything works, everything, I had already jumped the starter its fine, spends the motor but no start, i checked everything with my fluke MM. my snap-on scanner dosent have HD software YET but it offered. there is power to the starter button, flashers work, turn signals and head light, radio, all fuses and relays are good.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:28 PM
kblhd
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 102 Posts

Wife's 3 week old Harley wouldn't crank - it was a bad starter switch at the handle bar.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:30 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Did you try starting it in neutral? The M8's seem to have an issue with the clutch switch going out, causing it to do exactly what you are describing when attempting to start it in gear.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:30 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts
Old 09-15-2018, 02:57 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

some call it swingblade, i call it Kaiser blade. sounds like you need the HD sniffer ( scanner) at this point. After checking all connections etc. Cranks but no start could be crankshaft pos sensor. common 'ish' issue on late model Harley. PS i am not a pro tech.

Quick Reply: 2017 Street Glide Special, No crank everything powers up