Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just pick a damn seat already!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 07:09 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Just pick a damn seat already!

I can’t believe it is this difficult. The fact that you can’t really try out seats makes it worse. So the stock seat on my ‘18 SGS is not “that bad” comfort-wise, sits me in the right seating position with my 10” bars, and doesn’t look that bad either. Why do I want to change it so bad? Because it hurts my *** after a half hour, can’t get my feet flat on the ground, and it’s not actually that good looking.

I tried. I ordered a Roland Sands “Boss” seat. Looked awesome. Firm, but comfortable, and no prob for long distance. However, it sat me back about an inch and a half, and made it harder to reach the handlebars and highway pegs when leaning back in a cruising position. I couldn’t see why because the distance from the nose of the seat to the top of the back lip was the same 18” as the stock. Eventually, I figured out that it was the sloped back design on the RSD that created the 1-1/2” “gap” that had me sitting back deeper in it. Off it goes to Craigslist. PM me if you are interested. I am 5’7”, and just too short for it. I guess I need a seat with a more upright back tail support.

Since I ride solo, and prefer the fastback style, these are what I’ve been looking at: Corbin solo with a fender bib, Corbin Gunfighter, Lucky Dave’s, Saddleman Step-up, Mustang Low Touring. Trying to narrow down and pick one is agonizing. They all look good, but I don’t need to list another one on Craigslist. Any ideas or advice are appreciated.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:27 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

If you like the seat and it's comfortable, just adjust the handle bars back to where they are a comfortable reach. Simple as loosening the clamp, putting them where you want and then tightening everything back up. I can't see the highway pegs in your pic but they should be adjustable as well. If not, adjustable peg mounts are cheaper than another seat. It doesn't cost anything to make the adjustments and you get to keep the comfy seat you like the way it looks.

If you really want a new seat, another to look at is C&C. They make custom seats with any kind of cover you'd like.

The following users liked this post:
Old Iron Man (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 08:59 PM
Blowinsmoke06
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics of the Roland sands? How much?

Old 09-10-2018, 09:52 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
If you like the seat and it's comfortable, just adjust the handle bars back to where they are a comfortable reach. Simple as loosening the clamp, putting them where you want and then tightening everything back up. I can't see the highway pegs in your pic but they should be adjustable as well. If not, adjustable peg mounts are cheaper than another seat. It doesn't cost anything to make the adjustments and you get to keep the comfy seat you like the way it looks.

If you really want a new seat, another to look at is C&C. They make custom seats with any kind of cover you'd like.
First thing I thought when reading your post, too. Roll the bars back, and try moving the highway pegs. I have a set of the mounts that bring them closer to you. I took them off, as they were too close, and went back to the P style mounts.

The ones I have are aftermarket from eBay, and are Black, paid $60 for them. If it’s something you want to try, we can work something out.

After 4 seats, I feel like I got a winner with the mustang super tour. It’s slightly higher than stock, and very slightly further back. I did 650 mile days on it to and from Sturgis with no Butt pain issues.

Good luck to you, every butt prefers a different seat, and finding it can be challenging.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 09-10-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old Iron Man (09-11-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 11:37 PM
Joe from So Cal
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I took a three hour nonstop ride today. The stock seat on my 2016 FLTRX sucks bigly. I bought an Ultra seat so the wife would be more comfortable when riding two up. It is also uncomfortable for me on long rides.

The stock, solo seat on my brother's 2012 Electra Glide Police Special is magnificent. Right now I'm leaning toward a Mustang seat but my pal told me there's a custom seat maker here in So Cal I should check out. One thing's for sure, that stock seat on my bike has got to go.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:07 AM
Old Iron Man
Tourer

Originally Posted by Blowinsmoke06
Pics of the Roland sands? How much?
Selling for $300. (Cost a little over $400) Roland Sands "the Boss" made by Mustang. Model number 76909. If I don't sell it it might try changing to 12" bars over the winter, which I kinda wanted anyway, and roll them back a little to see it that helps. I really do like the seat, but I'm a little too short for it with the rest of my set up.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:38 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 439 Likes on 248 Posts

Go with C&C and be done with it.

Old Iron Man (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 06:03 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 228 Likes on 127 Posts

I have this seat and have no need to look for anything else.
OEM Leather

Old Iron Man (09-20-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 06:21 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

I have a Corbin Gunfighter that I bought from a fellow forum member. I love it! Can’t beat the ergos. It puts me in perfect riding posture, which is a problem with most motorcycle seats. The greatest cause of rider discomfort is poor posture, which is what causes pain in the back, neck, shoulders, etc. I was having all of those problems with my stock seat on long rides. Not anymore. It’s nearly impossible to slouch on a a Corbin seat. The Corbin is way firmer than the stock seat but that is by design. It gets more comfortable the longer you sit on it, whereas my stock seat was the other way around.

Old Iron Man (09-20-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Old Iron Man
Tourer

Originally Posted by blackxpress
I have a Corbin Gunfighter that I bought from a fellow forum member. I love it! Can’t beat the ergos. It puts me in perfect riding posture, which is a problem with most motorcycle seats. The greatest cause of rider discomfort is poor posture, which is what causes pain in the back, neck, shoulders, etc. I was having all of those problems with my stock seat on long rides. Not anymore. It’s nearly impossible to slouch on a a Corbin seat. The Corbin is way firmer than the stock seat but that is by design. It gets more comfortable the longer you sit on it, whereas my stock seat was the other way around.
Thanks. I think I'm leaning toward the Gunfighter. Glad to hear your good review. May I ask how tall you are? Since Corbin is several weeks out on production, and the season for riding around here is almost over, I'm going to order one over the winter and put it on in the spring.

Quick Reply: Just pick a damn seat already!