Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing control buttons

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 01:41 PM
BUSBY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, that’s just about where I’m at right now. Working on it as I type this, well ... more like taking a break cussing at it.

I have factory service manual, following instructions, but it’s not as easy as the 8-10 steps make it sound. Is what it is, a night of sleep helped for sure.

The following users liked this post:
justinwyn (11-23-2023)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:40 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 801 Likes on 358 Posts

How did it go BUSBY, were you able to get everything together? Just takes a little finesse!!

Ride safe!!

Old 09-25-2018, 07:06 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Cozz
how hard is it to change out the hand control buttons? Does it require removal of the switches out of the housings to change the buttons ? Wondering if they can be removed and replaced without disassembly of the entire control.
P.S. Those very short, twisted wires in the switch housings were assembled by tiny chinese fingers white still soft and malleable in china. Now, they have formed to fit their confines. BE VERY CAREFUL trying to fit those aged wires with your big American fingers back in to their intended position. While finally securing the two halves together, I pinched and nicked a wire, causing a short, which I did not discover until everything had been reassembled and riding down the road.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:31 PM
BUSBY
6th Gear

Originally Posted by nutsandbolts5212
How did it go BUSBY, were you able to get everything together? Just takes a little finesse!!

Ride safe!!
After taking my time and walking away a few times, I was frustrated with the two lower switches just being a pain lining up while trying to install the lower switch hold down plate (held in by two little phillips head screws). What I decided to do is use a small dab of clear silicone under each switch just to hold them in place, once it dried … things lined up fine without my stubby fingers in the way & I could get the lower plate installed.

As I was finishing up, & going to push on the cruise control & audio mode buttons, I was confused because there wasn't enough room. Called the local dealer, parts guy said all the mode buttons were the same. I tried explaining that there was no way, but he insisted they were. Well, he was kind of correct … according to my VIN number, there was only one option. But since my controls had been switched from Police controls to Classic controls, that was the right switch button. But I was installing a Ultra Classic lower with cruise and mode … so the buttons are different. the mode button is an offset button that wraps around the side of control housing.

I know this is all idle talk and just my experience … but hey, I have searched the web and forums high and low for information about this & found next to nothing. So, figure a little story of what I went thru might help someone in the future with similar problems.

As far as the cruise operation? It works great … but I have to diagnose the roll off feature. It activates fine and holds speed. but when it's disengaged (by brake/clutch/etc) it doesn't return to normal idle, has idle about 1200 rpm. Talked to a buddy who knows all about Harley cruise systems … he's going to come by soon to help me adjust all the cables in accordance with Harley specs. He was going over it in the phone as I was reading service manual & my brain started hurting again.
Edit: When I disengage cruise, RPM sticks around 1200rpm until I pull over and restart bike, after that idle returns to normal. I'm suspect of the cruise control module, but have to wait for buddy to come over and help out.

Here are pics of what I am talking about in regards to the differences of the switch buttons & the mode button being offset.

Original Classic lower switch housing ^^

Classic lower switch housing with mode button centered ^^

New Ultra Classic lower switch housing with cruise button installed, note mode button won't fit ^^

Top: Ultra Classic mode button Bottom: Classic mode button ^^

Top: note offset of UC button Bottom: Classic has centered push on ^^

Fisnished install pic. ^^

Last edited by BUSBY; 09-25-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:35 PM
BUSBY
6th Gear

Originally Posted by e6fmf
P.S. Those very short, twisted wires in the switch housings were assembled by tiny chinese fingers white still soft and malleable in china. Now, they have formed to fit their confines. BE VERY CAREFUL trying to fit those aged wires with your big American fingers back in to their intended position. While finally securing the two halves together, I pinched and nicked a wire, causing a short, which I did not discover until everything had been reassembled and riding down the road.
So much truth in your post! HAHAHA

The installation of the zip tie on the upper switch hold down was KEY for me. I tried to just make it work, but it was like shoving a pig into a mouse house.