Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My HOG wallows! Anybody else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:57 AM
Fearless1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My HOG wallows! Anybody else?

Mine was squirly to when I firsst got it I replaced the back tire and it handles great now.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:26 AM
mchildree
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My Father-In-Law's spanking new '08 Goldwing is squirrelly on the road like this. Not as bad as described above, but sure feels that way in comparison to my RK.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:04 AM
john510
Novice

All the things listed in the previous posts are possible. I have an 05 Road Glide and it had a front end wobble. I took it to the dealer and the cause was loose spokes in the rear wheel. The rear spokes were very loose according to the dealer and he tightened the front ones just slightly. This worked, the bike handles perfectly now. Just another item to check. Make sure you check the spokes by sound and not feel. You should get a little ringing when you tap them with a screwdriver. If they are loose, you will get a dull thunk.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys! I know it isn't the spokes because they are cast wheels. I know the lowers aren't affecting the bike because they've been on there since day 1. We checked the swing pattern of the steering assy to ascertain tightness/looseness of the head bearing.....that's how it was found to be a little tight, but not enough to cause this feeling.
dchoran describes the issue almost to a "T". It might just be those Dunlops. First thing we'll check are the motor mounts. I may just as well order some Metzlers and keep them just in case....can always use 'em.

I'll post the results of the diagnosis.........and if anybody has an answer before I do, please let me know here or by PM.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:28 AM
procarlo
6th Gear

Don't know if this helps but a friend of mine has a 03 dyna which had what sounds like the same problem.
The dealer told him that he was wrong and the bike was fine and would " feel the road " due to a 21 inch front tire
To make a long story short, he got a rear flat tire and while changing it noticed the swing arm moved kindda hard with the shocks removed.
ended up both swing arm bearings were junk and the beltwas worn down on one side from misalignment.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

As an update, somebody mentioned that the seat securing screw was loose on their bike and that was the culprit. Not so with mine...checked it this morning. Tech still hasn't gotten to it.........will post results when I know something on the matter.

I miss my toy.[X(]

Old 07-05-2007, 05:53 PM
electra trike
Advanced

30,000 miles on your ride I can almost guarentte that the swing arm bushing are shot, depending on how you ride single or 2 up puts more stress on the swing arm. Google True Trac and read about this product worked great on my 05 E-Glide trike

Old 07-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

I checked the swingarm schematic in the 2004 FL parts book at the dealership and discovered that the swingarm has bearings and not bushings........and that's always a good thing. Still awaiting my time on the lift.....but it sure isn't any fun riding it the way it is....and could be downright dangerous if it's the rear tire.

I don't see the reasoning in installing a tru-trac or similar device to eliminate the problem, especially since we really don't know the cause right now. Even if it does turn out to be the swingarm bearings, I'd replace 'em anyway.......just makes sense to cure the malady first. Might install a tru-trac or something like it later........and thanks for the input.