Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 08:46 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts
Default Rear Suspension

I am looking for rear suspension for my 07 Road King, I have some shocks in my mind that I think that I want, but the problem is, one third of the touring section will say "oh yeah go for um you will love them". One third will say "They Suck you will hate them." One third will say

So what I want to know is If you have, or had after market shocks on your bike, and you hated them, and could not wait to get them the heck off of your bike, which ones were they and why did you hate them? This away I will know what shocks not to be thinking on.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:35 AM
subgunner
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

My '04 Road King had leaking air shocks. Got tired of having to pump before each ride and ordered Ohlins from Howard. It made a definite improvement in ride and handling. My 2013 RK Police is a recent purchase and of course I am making changes. Trying to stay on a budget I decided to replace the air shocks with a lightly used set of Harley premium ride shocks which cost half the money of Ohlins. Immediately it was clear that the ride was much improved over the air shocks. Now I am working on the front forks.
My observation is that any quality shock can get the job done, the tech is not new. The choice boils down to what you are looking for. Is it a cushy ride with some sacrifice in handling or a firm ride for the best handling. My racing days are over so it's cushy for me and the premium ride shocks are getting it done. My .02 YMMV

Old 09-08-2018, 09:43 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,257 Likes on 22,615 Posts

I couldn't stand the stock "air shocks".
I have heard and seen on here however that guys have had good luck with them changing out the oil which is not easy and is messy but it is cheap.
I would think it is also time consuming.

I talked to the shock gurus and after all said done cut & dried went with the Progressive 940's. They have since been changed by Progressive to 944.
At the time I did the 940's I also changed up the front end to the Progressive mono shocks which to me gave a superb ride. No more nose diving bouncy bouncy in the front end.

I have no issues with the older 940's or the monoshock's and for me riding two up with my wife the majority of the time they have been great.
I think cost for both was in the $700 plus some change if memory serves right.

Last edited by lionsm13; 09-08-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:17 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member

Well living from direct deposit to direct deposit ioi payday to payday I am on a very tight budget so I am thinking Progressive 412, unless someone can talk me out of it. If I wanted to borrow out of my 401k I could have the best Ohlins but for now, savings are more important than comfort. If someone knows of a cheaper set of Ohlins 350.00 or there about I am all ears.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:53 AM
harleyrider4300
Tourer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Personal preference

i want to say this nicely. Do not want to offend. Shocks are a personal decision that only you can discover what is right for you
what works for one will be crap for another.

This is is not what you want to hear I know, but,
it is truthful.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:10 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,214 Likes on 3,428 Posts

I wasn't satisfied with the stock shocks; put Progressive 444's on my Road King and I feel it's a worthwhile improvement that doesn't break the bank.

Search around and you could find some used ones even cheaper.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:25 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleyrider4300
i want to say this nicely. Do not want to offend. Shocks are a personal decision that only you can discover what is right for you
what works for one will be crap for another.
This is is not what you want to hear I know, but,
it is truthful.
Hey I am ok with the truth. The only thing that could be worse than 2007 stock air shocks is a piece of one inch galvanized pipe welded between the frame and swing arm. LOL

Old 09-08-2018, 12:37 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by subgunner
My observation is that any quality shock can get the job done, the tech is not new. The choice boils down to what you are looking for. Is it a cushy ride with some sacrifice in handling or a firm ride for the best handling. ...................... My .02 YMMV
could not have said it better, so true. add to it that same bike, same shocks does not mean same ride for every rider.

I understand limited finances. unfortunately purchases made with funds available have not resulted in that final satisfaction. All too often the same people are upgrading the 1st purchase with 2nd and some with 3rd shocks, total cost now above what a onetime expensive proven shock would have cost by biting the bullet and not compromising with fingers crossed. Buy the one you believe will work for you, not the one you can afford today.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:03 PM
stroker87
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

i was in the same boat like you looking to upgrade my 08 EG

i swapped to a newer SG 12" air shock it help but not enough, being a cheap a$$ i just could not see spending $700 on 2 shocks just not going to happen

a friend of mine upgraded his 14 SG to some $700 shocks so i asked him if it was worth it over the new harley premium shocks he said no not much if an improvement (was some) but not enough to spend that much for the little he got, when he told me that i found a pair of 17 RG premiums use for a good price and installed them well best move i ever did the bike handles way better the ride is amazing i have not bottomed out once and have a lot more confident when riding

low buck big improvement over the stock air shocks, find a pair of take off's you will be very happy so will your wallet

Old 09-08-2018, 03:28 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

The trick to any aftermarket (Non-HD) shock is the setup. Get it right and you will be happy. Lot of people spend megabucks on top tier shocks then complain they are no better than what was on the bike previously. The trick is the setup (redundancy intended).

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension