Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Mark Up on CVO Models???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 10:32 AM
RedRider0151
Tourer
Received 153 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Dealer Mark Up on CVO Models???

So I am not talking about Dealer Prep fee's, Delivery Fee's, etc.... (My local dealer has 1600 - 1700 dollars in extra fee's they put on top of the price of EVERY bike they sell...even used ones)....I am talking a flat out Dealer Mark up on CVO's. My local has a 2019 CVO RG...was I interested..HELLS YEAH!! It is GORGEOUS!!!! However when I asked how much I was told 47k....and then I said you mean over 50k after the dealer add ons, tax, tag, title, etc...and he said absolutely. So after that I rolled home and jumped on Harleys site to take a gander at List Price...which is 42,xxx. So next time I was at teh dealer I asked and I was told yeah, its a dealer markup because its limited and they only get so many CVO's......I was a bit pissed, as thats why the thing is 42k already!!! LOL Now every time I walk in the dealer he looks at me asking if I am ready to pick it up, and I can tell you it will be a cold day in hell before I pay OVER MSRP for ANYTHING....let alone pay more for a motorcycle than I did for my brand new truck......just INSANE!!! Do I understand supply and demand, yeah I do....and at this point the bike still sits on the showroom floor and I am betting will continue to. Are all Dealers doing this????

Old 09-07-2018, 10:37 AM
Sparky357
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
So I am not talking about Dealer Prep fee's, Delivery Fee's, etc.... (My local dealer has 1600 - 1700 dollars in extra fee's they put on top of the price of EVERY bike they sell...even used ones)....I am talking a flat out Dealer Mark up on CVO's. My local has a 2019 CVO RG...was I interested..HELLS YEAH!! It is GORGEOUS!!!! However when I asked how much I was told 47k....and then I said you mean over 50k after the dealer add ons, tax, tag, title, etc...and he said absolutely. So after that I rolled home and jumped on Harleys site to take a gander at List Price...which is 42,xxx. So next time I was at teh dealer I asked and I was told yeah, its a dealer markup because its limited and they only get so many CVO's......I was a bit pissed, as thats why the thing is 42k already!!! LOL Now every time I walk in the dealer he looks at me asking if I am ready to pick it up, and I can tell you it will be a cold day in hell before I pay OVER MSRP for ANYTHING....let alone pay more for a motorcycle than I did for my brand new truck......just INSANE!!! Do I understand supply and demand, yeah I do....and at this point the bike still sits on the showroom floor and I am betting will continue to. Are all Dealers doing this????
All dealers don’t do this but it’s not uncommon because their a sucker born every minute. I have a hard enough tome paying sticker let alone markups. This hurts HD more then it helps !!!!

Old 09-07-2018, 10:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Next time you call by tell him that when he comes down to MSRP you may well be interested!

Old 09-07-2018, 11:09 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Hang in there and do not pay over MSRP!

Old 09-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

If the dealer has been in business any length of time, they likely know what their chances of getting their asking price is.

If they think they can sell the bike for their asking price- they'll hold out for it. The 2019's just came out, and it's not unlikely they'll sit on that bike for a while to see what bites they get.
The longer it sits the more it costs them. Perhaps they're ok with that, maybe it brings traffic into the store.

Every time the guy asks you if you're ready to buy, make your offer.

Only a few things can happen, assuming you have a max price in mind.

They say no to your offer, and you walk
They counter and you walk
They accept your offer, and you got yourself a new bike
Someone else pays their price in the meantime, and the bike goes to it's new owner.

CVOs might be tougher to shop around than the others.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:40 AM
RedRider0151
Tourer
Received 153 Likes on 79 Posts

Yeah....I wont ever pay over MSRP...its crazy to even pay MSRP, but on the CVO I kind of get it, each dealer only gets a few so they can play hardball on it. Last summer I was at the dealer and they had an RG with a stage 4 and they were trying to get me to trade my 15SG and 23k for it.....my answer was for that I should just keep my bike and go buy a hooligan bike that would blow the doors off the stage IV....and 2 weeks later I had a used Ducati Panigale in my garage..LOLZ....so yeah, while my wife thinks I have a screw loose, I am still pretty sure I will NEVER be paying the current asking price for that thing. I was just shocked at the 5k dealer markup when they have 25 other RG's on the showroom floor....its not like you cant get VERY close to having a one off RG with the extra cash, especially now that they are coming with the 114....

Old 09-07-2018, 11:45 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Was this at the lovely Smokin' HD? It was so funny they wanted $5k over MSRP for a 18 RG CVO back in December, I laughed in his face and walked out.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:52 AM
Bgill
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Not all dealers do it (over MSRP) but you have to shop around and do your homework and create some competition for your money.

www.seedealercost.com

They make 22% Gross Profit if they sell at MSRP alone....that's almost $9K. Plus all the extra BS they tack on.

Give them their number but insist on an similar highly inflated number on your trade then negotiate from there.

Retail book value on your stripped down trade and straight MSRP on the new CVO is probably a good deal this early in the new model year.

Last edited by Bgill; 09-07-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:57 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
...was I interested..HELLS YEAH!! It is GORGEOUS!!!!
....... if yer really interested, call around to dealers w/i a 500 mile radius & see what they got coming
..... not every dealer marks up over MSRP like yer local
............ and yer right, the SERGs are gorgeous ..... & fast too, i'd bet

Old 09-07-2018, 09:03 PM
Stel67
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

The dealer in my area has their CVOs 5 k over MSRP too

The following users liked this post:
RedRider0151 (09-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Dealer Mark Up on CVO Models???