Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015+ road glide inner fairing removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:39 PM
Mrevilix
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2015+ road glide inner fairing removal

Does anyone know of a good write up or video on how to remove the inner fairing on a 2015 and newer road glides? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-05-2018, 12:15 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 709 Posts

Factory 47 has a pretty good one on their youtube channel

Old 09-05-2018, 08:39 AM
Mrevilix
Cruiser

^^I went on their channel and couldn’t find it

Old 09-05-2018, 09:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Fsm?!

Old 09-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Fsm?!
Too obvious! LOL

The following users liked this post:
grbrown (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 02:45 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts
DanHappy (02-07-2020)
Old 09-05-2018, 04:01 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I guess 'reading the service manual' is the standard answer these days. Used to be a cool guy or two who would walk a person through stuff. Those times have past and I am not that cool unfortunately (anymore).

Mrevilix (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 04:41 PM
DanielKRacing
Intermediate
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

It's actually pretty simple, I would watch a video on removing the outer fairing first, I think jp cycles and law abiding biker have pretty good ones. Once you get the outer fairing off, you have to remove the headlight, there are two screws on top and two on the bottom, you should remove the push pins that are holding two connectors onto the top of the headlight (red circles in picture with headlight still attached) before you attempt to take the headlight out. Then you're gonna want to disconnect the harness and antenna wires going into the back of the radio (red circles in picture showing back of radio), then proceed to fish the two wires down and out of the way, it might be difficult because the bundle of wires is kind of rigid. Now once the wires are fished down to basically behind where the headlight would be, disconnect the two harness wires that would be right behind the top headlight bolts on each side, there is a black connector on the brake side and a gray one on the clutch side (once again red circles in the pic), once you disconnect them, you will have to get the push pins out of the fairing frame, a trim removal tool would make easy work of it, or just wiggle them out. Now you should have the big connector from the back of the radio, two gray connectors, and the antenna wire hanging down. You can then remove the two bolts that connect the bottom of the fairing to the fairing supports on the engine guard and then the four bolts holding the whole inner fairing and frame in, be careful, it is kind of heavy and awkward to carry and make sure you fish the wires through the hole as you pull away from the bike.

Now to remove the inner fairing itself, there are a bunch of Allen Head bolts around the speaker pods that directly attach to the inner fairing and also there should be two on either side of the radio towards the top. Be sure to disconnect the wires to the gauges as well because they are screwed into the inner fairing and not attached to the fairing frame.

Attached Thumbnails 2015+ road glide inner fairing removal-photo598.jpg   2015+ road glide inner fairing removal-photo661.jpg   2015+ road glide inner fairing removal-photo455.jpg   2015+ road glide inner fairing removal-photo632.jpg  
Mrevilix (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I guess 'reading the service manual' is the standard answer these days. Used to be a cool guy or two who would walk a person through stuff. Those times have past and I am not that cool unfortunately (anymore).
I reckon it's like that old parable about if you want to feed a guy for a day, give him a fish. If you want to feed him for a lifetime, teach him how to fish!

The way I see it, on a more direct level, I have gone out and ponied up the bucks...sometimes a LOT of bucks...to get the manual for most every piece of rolling stock that I've owned. This is MY responsibility if I decide to wrench on a machine. I figger it's not my...or your...or her...or his responsibility to go into that manual or use information that I've gained the hard way because someone else is too lazy, cheap, or irresponsible to invest in information that I've invested in.

That said, there are exceptions. The beauty of a forum is to share information that falls between the cracks. Sometimes, a guy might get a bike, immediately order the FSM, and need some poop while waiting for it. Personally, I'm ok with that.

Now, that might seem pretty 'one way' to a lotta folks, and others might want to be the Shell Answer Man. But since you put it out there, here's my opinion

I'll bet I'm not the only one feels that way.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Mrevilix
Cruiser

Thanks danielkracing!

I did buy the service manual when I bought my bike new back in January, but I’m more of a visual leaner and pick things up a lot quicker that way. That is why I was asking for a video or a write up because they usually have pictures. I already have the outer fairing off and everything unbolted, I just wasn’t sure about the harness or what else needs to come off before being able to pull it off.

Quick Reply: 2015+ road glide inner fairing removal