Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions if you switched from Batwing to Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 03:25 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts
Default Opinions if you switched from Batwing to Road King

I love my '03 FLHTCUI. But when I retire and start taking longer trips, I want to get a new bike. I don't like the styling changes on the post '14 Batwings, and I don't want an infotainment center. So I'm wondering if I would be better off buying a Road King. It still looks more old school. I could set it up for touring with a detachable Tour Pack. I enjoy listening to the radio, but could live without it. I never listen it to it, 2up, my wife doesn't like it, anyway.

It would save some money too, that I could use for a Stage One and some old school Saddlebag guards.

Any regrets from people that switched from a Batwing to a Road King? Do you get more buffeting? What about passenger buffeting? If you liked the switch, why?

Old 09-03-2018, 03:54 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

A good friend had an 03 RK. In 2013 he rode an Ultra that I had rented. Both he and his wife were happier in the ultra.
When we visited the wife and I rode his old RK. We were both happier on our 07 ultra. The RK wasn't a bad ride but there are definitely creature comforts, not to mention more room on our Ultra.
If you feel that strongly about the 14+ faring maybe start looking for a 13 Ultra with low miles. You could very likely end up with a very nice bike probably with upgrades already for much less money than anything new.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:57 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

^ yes that, buy the time u add the cost of a tourpack lowers aftermarket fairing your way above a new ultra.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ORradtech
A good friend had an 03 RK. In 2013 he rode an Ultra that I had rented. Both he and his wife were happier in the ultra.
When we visited the wife and I rode his old RK. We were both happier on our 07 ultra. The RK wasn't a bad ride but there are definitely creature comforts, not to mention more room on our Ultra.
If you feel that strongly about the 14+ faring maybe start looking for a 13 Ultra with low miles. You could very likely end up with a very nice bike probably with upgrades already for much less money than anything new.
Buying a '13 was my original plan. And there is a good chance I'll still do that. But I heard they run hotter than my 88, and I 'm hoping the M8 is pretty bulletproof by '21. If I'm still in good enough shape to do some extensive touring, I'd like a brand new bike, with a warranty. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:39 PM
BCSG
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

What styling changes do you not like on the 14’ up batwings? I traded my 14’ Roadking for a 14’ Street Glide. On the 14’ RK, I had a 22” shield (cop shield) and it was great for all year round riding. The wife didn’t have any issues of buffeting on the back. I was still able to look over the shield also. I loved the Roadking, but wanted to try a bat wing fairing.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BCSG
What styling changes do you not like on the 14’ up batwings? I traded my 14’ Roadking for a 14’ Street Glide. On the 14’ RK, I had a 22” shield (cop shield) and it was great for all year round riding. The wife didn’t have any issues of buffeting on the back. I was still able to look over the shield also. I loved the Roadking, but wanted to try a bat wing fairing.
I'm pleading the Fifth on that.

The following users liked this post:
jeeper101 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 05:55 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33,003 Likes on 12,902 Posts

No regrets, I traded a Street Glide for a Road King. I did not want the radio and GPS. The Road King makes you feel like you're on a motorcycle without that fairing. I put on a Freedom Shields windscreen and outside of some occasional movement of air, I don't have buffeting. It's more of a pleasant feeling unless its super windy that day then that depends on the direction of air. I don't ever have a passenger so I can't answer to that question.

I did buy a chopped tour pack but never have it on except for some sort of trip. The RK is much more nimble imho and just "feels" better.

I rented one for a weekend before trading, glad I did. That sealed the deal for me.

The following users liked this post:
jeeper101 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 06:40 PM
bigpick
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Traded my Street glide for a Road king, was tired of the whole fairing thing and everywhere you look there is a street glide. Love the old school looks of the king, Rides great, bars feels lighter. Don't regret it one bit.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:24 PM
Stel67
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

Got rid of my 16 SGS for a 2008 CVO Road King, don't miss the SGS one bit

Old 09-03-2018, 07:25 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,668 Likes on 6,425 Posts

I have a metric **** ton (favorite new saying) of miles on all the touring bikes. I currently have an 01 Road King that I have had forever, as well as the 2017 Road Glide. Anybody knows the Road King is the most versatile bike in the entire lineup. I have a shield and a detachable fairing for mine. Sure, the King is a great bike but for mile eating (Harley jingle) the Road Glide has them all beat hands down. And the new bikes are very impressive, especially the 19's but at a premium price. The power makes the old bikes seem, old... I convinced myself that I would not ride an M8 unless I was ready to buy one. Good thing I listened to myself. One ride and I was convinced that I had to have one.

I could go on and on Ron, but like anyone else I can only tell you to ride all of them. Some dealerships are more lenient than others as far as test rides so find one that will work with you.

And for Gods sake, PLEASE don't get rid of the bike you have I hope? To date that has always been my favorite anniversary model year paint scheme. And having a 2nd bike is never a bad thing, especially when you put down as many miles as I like to and tend to get one stuck in a shop getting work done to it. My new one is at my Indy shop now for some doo dads and necessary stuff.

I dramatically helped buffeting on my Road King with an LRS shield. It gets even better with a Memphis Shades (reasonably cheap) fairing with an LRS shield.

Trying to address your concerns but it could take a lot more than I can or care to type....

Last edited by nobodyknowsme; 09-03-2018 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Oh yeah

Quick Reply: Opinions if you switched from Batwing to Road King