Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions if you switched from Batwing to Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by BCSG
What styling changes do you not like on the 14’ up batwings?
Can't speak for the OP, but lots of folks don't like the mail slot (vent) on the bat wing. Looks like an afterthought.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:23 PM
Crashrdking01
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts
Default 01 rk

I ride an 01 Road King with a tall Memphis Shade and lowers and also put a Kenwood 400 watt amp in the windshield bag with. Infinity Kappa 6.5 speakers in the lowers and 6x9 infinity kappas in my saddle bags...and i power it all with a 400 watt kennwood bluetooth amp that rides in the windshield bag..and i have ridden the bike solo and 2 up and my girl has never complained aboit the wind bothering her..so for me it will always be a riad king...just my 2cents...

My 01 rd kg

Last edited by Crashrdking01; 09-05-2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Wrong words
Old 09-05-2018, 09:41 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

I have both. An 08 RKC and a 13 Limited. If it's just me, the Road King every time. The Limited is for long trips ( storage ) and the wife likes the comfort.

If you can have both, it's great to have choices.

As far as buffeting, I really don't notice a difference. The big difference is the lower center of gravity on the Road King. Get off the Limited and then the Road King feels like a softail. Light, nimble and easy to handle but still has the nice touring ride.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:33 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 709 Posts

Im going to go against the grain here i had an 01 king and now a 14 flhtk. I liked the king, but i like the flhtk better by alot. I love the fairing. Takes the pressure off your chest at high speeds. I also like the radio. I love having my tunes. The tour pack is awesome too. I used my bags alot on my king but i dont use them ever on the limited except for things that dont leave the bike like rain gear. The trunk is great. Im not downing the kings by any means. Theyre great all around bikes just not what i want right now.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Blackjack1
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I too have had both - bat wing and RKCs - the last bike I purchased was another RKC even after renting a new 2017 SG for a trip up through Arkansas. This thread though has made me consider WHY I like the RKC better than the SG... hard to put my finger on it actually.... so blessed to be able to have either of them obviously.

I think for me, ultimately I like the look and feel of the RKC. I never used the radio in the SG and I like seeing the road - feels more 'open' I guess - the bat wing seems such a barrier. The ride, storage etc... are non-issues as I can add/take away from either (other than the bat wing on the SG) to make it how I want it.

As far as tunes go... I use a set of Bose noise canceling ear buds and a modular-full face helmet - so its like have a concert in my head but I can still hear my V&H's. Either bike is awesome, however I think the RG is butt-ugly and even after renting one of them for a trip to the coast and back - I just couldn't own one. One of my buddies loves his RG, wouldn't own anything else - to each his own as they say.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:28 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,668 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackjack1
Either bike is awesome, however I think the RG is butt-ugly and even after renting one of them for a trip to the coast and back - I just couldn't own one. One of my buddies loves his RG, wouldn't own anything else - to each his own as they say.
You right and the Road Glide is butt ugly. LOL
Funny thing is I never dated fat or ugly chicks but the RG is my fat ugly chick...

Old 09-06-2018, 10:39 AM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I swore I would never have a fairing or a radio on a bike. As soon as I bought my shovelhead cop bike in the 80's, I stripped everything off but the nacelle.
Well after all the rigids and springers, I got older. I've had 4 Street Glides since 09. All with a Rocker 250 watt amp and speakers.
I got crazy and just decided I was done with the fairings and bought a new 2018 Road King Special.
I love that SOB. Yeah, sometimes I miss my fairing and LAF radio, but I just feel at home on the RK. I can pop the windshield off in 10 seconds and get some wind in my face when I want.
I just finished installing a 117ci big bore etc and dyno tuned it yesterday. 142 ft lbs of torque is a big fun. If I go WFO in 4th or 5th I'm looking at new scenery and wondering where all the cars went next to me.
On a final note, I remember when I was a kid and looked out the window of my father's car and saw Electra Glides and thought it was the biggest,coolest thing I ever saw. It stuck in my head until I bought my first new Harley in 1976 right before getting out of the Army. I still have the Bill of Sale for $2,549
Now every time I ride, and see a kid with both hands looking out the window, I think he's just been destined to get a Harley later.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:48 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,017 Likes on 3,613 Posts

I test road Street Glide and RK. Went with the Road King, bare bones. I love it. It's like going back to basics which is exactly what I was looking for. The less stuff it has, the less to go wrong down the road and I love the " proper motorcycle " look it has.
Nothing wrong with any of the faired bikes at all. I'm just not ready for all the bells, whistles and shear mass of it.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:54 AM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default 2013 Limited

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I have both. An 08 RKC and a 13 Limited. If it's just me, the Road King every time. The Limited is for long trips ( storage ) and the wife likes the comfort.

If you can have both, it's great to have choices.

As far as buffeting, I really don't notice a difference. The big difference is the lower center of gravity on the Road King. Get off the Limited and then the Road King feels like a softail. Light, nimble and easy to handle but still has the nice touring ride.
+1 here - 2 up it's the Limited every time. The 2013 Limited has all the latest oil pump and tensioner upgrades, not twin cooled and can be had
at a very reasonable price if you don't like the later models.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

I've had all three. the RK, EG and RG and am fortunate enough to have the versatility and seemingly lighter handling of the RK with the high speed, long distance capabilities of the Road Glide. The Bat Wing is a compromise between the two and while logic may say that of I could only have one to go witht he Bat Wing, the Road King just is so sweet and coupled witht he ability to pop the windshield off when arriving from the road to an event and cruising with all of the wind in your face - well, ding-ding-ding YAHTZEE!

Quick Reply: Opinions if you switched from Batwing to Road King