Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions if you switched from Batwing to Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 07:27 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 916 Likes on 431 Posts

I am fortunate to have both a batwing and a Road King, and I know exactly where you're coming from. All the "stuff" on the new batwings simply turns me off. I'm sure it's good, but it's just not for me.
My wife usually rides with me, and we kind of alternate between bikes. She and I like them both. But if I had to pick a new one, it would be the Road King---it does everything pretty well---around town, touring, and in between. And you're not paying for anything you really just don't want.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:29 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
I have a metric **** ton (favorite new saying) of miles on all the touring bikes. I currently have an 01 Road King that I have had forever, as well as the 2017 Road Glide. Anybody knows the Road King is the most versatile bike in the entire lineup. I have a shield and a detachable fairing for mine. Sure, the King is a great bike but for mile eating (Harley jingle) the Road Glide has them all beat hands down. And the new bikes are very impressive, especially the 19's but at a premium price. The power makes the old bikes seem, old... I convinced myself that I would not ride an M8 unless I was ready to buy one. Good thing I listened to myself. One ride and I was convinced that I had to have one.

I could go on and on Ron, but like anyone else I can only tell you to ride all of them. Some dealerships are more lenient than others as far as test rides so find one that will work with you.

And for Gods sake, PLEASE don't get rid of the bike you have I hope? To date that has always been my favorite anniversary model year paint scheme. And having a 2nd bike is never a bad thing, especially when you put down as many miles as I like to and tend to get one stuck in a shop getting work done to it. My new one is at my Indy shop now for some doo dads and necessary stuff.

I dramatically helped buffeting on my Road King with an LRS shield. It gets even better with a Memphis Shades (reasonably cheap) fairing with an LRS shield.

Trying to address your concerns but it could take a lot more than I can or care to type....
I'm not going to get rid of my bike. Unless it gets too hard to get parts. Having that paint scheme has made it hard to like any of the new paint jobs. Unfortunately, the only paint jobs I like are the CVOs,and I'm not paying $46k for a bike. I might buy a Garage Queen CVO after seeing Stel67's bike.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:48 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I love my '03 FLHTCUI. But when I retire and start taking longer trips, I want to get a new bike. I don't like the styling changes on the post '14 Batwings, and I don't want an infotainment center. So I'm wondering if I would be better off buying a Road King. It still looks more old school. I could set it up for touring with a detachable Tour Pack. I enjoy listening to the radio, but could live without it. I never listen it to it, 2up, my wife doesn't like it, anyway.

It would save some money too, that I could use for a Stage One and some old school Saddlebag guards.

Any regrets from people that switched from a Batwing to a Road King? Do you get more buffeting? What about passenger buffeting? If you liked the switch, why?
I can't attest to your exact situation, but I have a 2003 RKC and 2015 RGS. I love the 2015 RGS, but if I bought another touring bike, it would be a new RK. I don't really care for the infotainment (it's junk IMO) and the speakers, even with a good aftermarket upgrade, it fairly worthless at highway speed.

Get the RK. Nothing beats the look.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:49 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I'm not going to get rid of my bike. Unless it gets too hard to get parts. Having that paint scheme has made it hard to like any of the new paint jobs. Unfortunately, the only paint jobs I like are the CVOs,and I'm not paying $46k for a bike. I might buy a Garage Queen CVO after seeing Stel67's bike.
Nothing beats the 2003 Anniversary color IMO. I took mine out for 1100 miles this weekend. I had people at almost every stop commenting or asking about it.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:15 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road King

Same here. Have had ‘01 eglide classic, ‘07 street glide, ‘09 street glide, ‘14 road king and now ‘18 road king special. For me king all day. Want a fairing go buy an after market one or windshield both are removable can’t do that on street glide. Road King most versatile of them all I love it.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:16 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,574 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Just curious Ron, have you tried a Rushmore 103 HO two up? I had a Road King and loved it but after several Limiteds I can’t see going back. I like the Infotainment and find using Tyre to map routes for our trips a real plus, it’s easy to use and the screen is a nice size. Renting one for a couple days might change your mind.
Bill

Old 09-04-2018, 05:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I went the other way, in other words dropped my RK-style windshield for a batwing. Admittedly my bike is much older, but I found the buffetting and problems with cross-winds, with the oval windshield, were just too much, largely done away by installing a batwing.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:27 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

You mentioned detachable TP for the King for touring. You could also get a detachable batwing fairing to complete that look. Some offer a plain-Jane with no stereo if you want.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:38 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,724 Likes on 843 Posts

I went from 3 ultra's to my current 14 RK. I have lowers and tourpak, had to fork lowers and they took away a lot of wind. Wish I had them back for cold days, have heated grips. I went from batwing to RK because my long touring days are over for now. GF had several surgeries that would not be pleasant for long riding. I will keep my RK and maybe get a different GF
I prefer the Ultra for Long Touring but never giving up my RK, at least not for now.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:28 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 440 Posts

Just get the Road King and add the stuff you need, then take it off when you don't. For 400 miles a day or more I would want the batwing with lowers and a tourpak. If less the windshield would be ok. It really is like 3 bikes in 1.

Quick Reply: Opinions if you switched from Batwing to Road King