Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing Windshield Trim-Structural Support or Just Bling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 02:10 PM
rock2r
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Batwing Windshield Trim-Structural Support or Just Bling?

Had my 2013 LTD sitting in a very hot parking lot (direct sun) for about an hour the other day while I was in a store.
When approaching the bike to head back home I noticed that there was about a 1/4" gap between the center of the inner fairing and the inside of my 4" LRS windshield-right in the area where the fairing's upper center screw is. Large enough gap to where I could look down in there and see the heat sinks on my stereo. Would not have been a good thing if it had been raining!
Anyhow, when the bike was back home sitting in the garage and cooled off a bit, I noticed the gap was now barely visible, albeit still there. I put the torx bit on all (3) top fairing screws for a "gentle" snug up. The outer ones were tight but the center one tightined almost one full turn-did not try to push it beyond that as I'm aware that this is fragile territory. So, got to wondering about the batwing windshield lower trims I see a lot of folks running: do they serve a structural purpose regarding the aforementioned windshield/inner fairing top screws-or are they just bling?
I do not currently have one on my bike. I do intend to add a windshield pouch in the very near future as soon as I decide which one I prefer. Don't want a gap-or worse, stripped screws, when I'm all done with the windshield pouch install.
So: Windshield trims-structural support or just bling?

Old 08-31-2018, 02:18 PM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Its all pretty much bling will not strengthen anything that your fairing screws should handle you may need to take it all apart to see were the problems are, There something not right in the fairing to have a cap in it I’d be looking threw my manual to find out.

The following users liked this post:
rock2r (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 02:24 PM
rock2r
Advanced

I'll check my manual for the torque specs and put the fancy ratchet on the screws and see if they can go a little tighter before they reach the torque value. Just don't want to strip out the inner female threads or crack the fairing-this forum has a bunch of those posts-after the damage was already done.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:27 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

The trim might keep you from cracking the outer fairing from overtightening. But I think your problem is the threaded insert in your inner fairing may be starting to pull out. Trim won’t help that.

The following users liked this post:
rock2r (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 02:46 PM
rock2r
Advanced

Really did not want to have to pull the outer fairing but might as well when I install the windshield pouches and make sure all is well.
I'll search the forum for the part number of those brass ferrules others have used as a remedy to the "weak" threaded OEM fairing screw insert problems