Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky brakes anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 04:15 PM
Speed00
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky brakes anyone?

Iv changed brakes in the past and always use OEM brakes never had an issue. I used EBC brakes and now my rear brakes squeal when I lightly apply the brakes. Anyone ever have issues with after market pads?

Old 08-30-2018, 05:09 PM
diggerv
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

At my first brake pad change I installed the EBCs. They squealed a little but not really bad. Their performance wasn't near as good as OEM and they didn't last as long either. So, until the aftermarket can produce a pad that can perform as well as OEM I'm going to stick with OEM. OEM is worth the price IMHO.

BTW... welcome to the forum!

Old 08-31-2018, 02:33 AM
Birdog
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a new 2018 Street Glide and the rear brakes started to squeal very loudly at about 1500 miles. It was so loud it was embarrassing. I tried every fix I could think of. I applied disc brake quiet to the back side of the pads, beveled the edges of the pads with a file and sanded the face of the pads. Nothing worked. I replaced the OEM pads with EBC pads and so far they are completely quiet. The true test will be to see if they are still quiet after a couple thousand miles. Which type of EBC pads are you using? They have a few types, semi-sintered, organic, etc. Maybe try a different type. I would think a softer material would be less likely to squeal. Of course it would also wear faster and make more brake dust as well. If the semi-sintered pads I installed start to squeal I may look into getting the organic pads. I’m no expert on brakes, just sharing my experience with what I did.

Last edited by Birdog; 08-31-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:10 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Chamfer the edges with a file or sand paper, and add disc brake quiet to the back of the pads. That should fix the issue.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:22 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Back when the touring bikes first got the brembo brakes, there was an issue with the rear brake squealing. If i remember correctly, the MOCO suggested applying copper grease on the back of the rear brake pads. they even gave you a little stencil and grease to apply the grease in the correct pattern when you bought a rear brake pads. I'm not sure if they still provide the stencil and grease in the brake pad box but it is super easy to do. This worked for me on my 08' 10' + '12 models.

My new to me 15 flhp has a tendency to squeal at lower speeds so I'm probably going to do this myself.

Last edited by Toe Knee; 08-31-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:52 PM
Terminator1
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello guys....ASE Certified Auto Tech with 30+ years experience here. I own 2 Harley’s...A 2012 Ultra Limited and a 2015 Road Glide. Bought both new and after a few months they both suffered from brake squeal. What we use on all brake jobs is a product from Permatex called Extreme Ceramic Brake Lube. The secret to solving brake squeal is stopping the pads from vibrating. Just a little of this lube is all you need. Remove the pads and clean all contact points where the pads touch the caliper and pistons as well as the anchor pins. Apply a thin layer of the lubricant to each of the pistons, the caliper lands that the pads rest on as well as the pins that go through the pads. When finished, you won’t hear a peep from the brakes. I hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Ricochet59 (01-04-2019)
Old 09-01-2018, 05:38 PM
MikeySom
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 380 Likes on 154 Posts

^^^^ what he said ^^^^

Old 09-01-2018, 09:34 PM
jerryleejr
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Or the cheap way, mix some Ajax and water make a paste apply to disc go for a ride. Apply the brakes several times get home park let it cool rinse off the excess paste...

JJ

Old 09-02-2018, 07:49 PM
115th FLHXS
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

OK - I gotta ask. How does this work to solve the problem?

Old 09-03-2018, 04:49 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Terminator1
Hello guys....ASE Certified Auto Tech with 30+ years experience here. I own 2 Harley’s...A 2012 Ultra Limited and a 2015 Road Glide. Bought both new and after a few months they both suffered from brake squeal. What we use on all brake jobs is a product from Permatex called Extreme Ceramic Brake Lube. The secret to solving brake squeal is stopping the pads from vibrating. Just a little of this lube is all you need. Remove the pads and clean all contact points where the pads touch the caliper and pistons as well as the anchor pins. Apply a thin layer of the lubricant to each of the pistons, the caliper lands that the pads rest on as well as the pins that go through the pads. When finished, you won’t hear a peep from the brakes. I hope this helps.
Have to completely agree with Terminator1. On a rare occasion you'll get a bad pad with something embedded in the friction material that no matter what you do will always make noise. Changing the pads would be the only fix.

Quick Reply: Squeaky brakes anyone?