Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock review, Howard's Ohlin #3-#3

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018 | 11:28 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ben221
This level of shock should be stock on our bikes based on the price.
it should be at least stock on CVO’s. If HD made them stock on the rest of the Touring line, they’d probably raise the price another $2k.

Last edited by lyork; 08-28-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-28-2018 | 06:22 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Yep, on CVO and Limiteds it should have a better shock, to be sure they could contract with a manufacturer to produce something decent like a Ohlins, Pro Action, JRI, Bitubo etc....

The following users liked this post:
lyork (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018 | 07:47 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

OP your wife will LOVE them.

It took my wife all of 1/4 mile to say WOW, why have we not put premium tuned shocks on sooner?

Pro-Action for me but many great options out there.

Ride safe

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
hattitude (08-28-2018), lyork (08-28-2018)
Old 09-02-2018 | 05:22 PM
hattitude
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Two-up Update:

Just spent a couple hours riding with the wife, for the first time, with these Ohlins.....

Short Answer:
My wife said, "Oh my God.... I didn't think the ride could get any better on this bike" and "It was incredible! Especially once I realized I didn't need to tense up for bumps I saw."

Background:
My wife is also a passenger on the same roads we took today, on two softails (FXSTS & FLHTCI). Because of that, she always thought the Bagger (FLHTCU) was super comfortable in comparison. She loved the OEM ride, but used to say that on the bagger, it was easier to see, and prepare for the bumps.

The test ride:
I immediately headed to the "frontage road". When we got through with that portion, I leaned back and asked he what she thought of the ride so far. That's when she made the first part of her comments. We continued the rest of the ride on some back, winding roads. They aren't terrible, but not a freeway either. I did hit numerous tar snakes, small pot holes, and one bigger dip, on purpose... just to see what she would say.

At the turn around spot, she made the second half of her statement. I knew then it was money well spent. I told her I hadn't even messed with the damping adjustment. She replied, "What would you do? How could it possibly ride any better?"

For my part, I now know what people mean by, "It made me realize how bad the front suspension is..." I thought I understood what that meant. I even said that, after I finally dialed in the SuperShox on my last bagger. But on this bike, with the Ohlins, that statement now has a whole new meaning to me..

Gonna have to save some $$$ and then give Howard another call. This time for one of the Ohlin cartridges for the front. Time to do some research, but it's gonna be one of the Ohlin cartridges. The way these shocks have worked out, I'm not going to mess around with anything else on the front....

Last edited by hattitude; 09-02-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2018 | 06:17 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Good review, similar to my experience... best of all , my wife loves them.

hattitude (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018 | 06:40 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
Time to do some research, but it's gonna be one of the Ohlin cartridges. The way these shocks have worked out, I'm not going to mess around with anything else on the front....
right now GP suspensions has probably the best front fork cartridges for our bikes. Ohlins is releasing a new cartridge system, from what I’ve been told by Öhlins,... but it’s still unclear whether they will be externally adjustable as the GP’s are. I’m running Legends currently, but they seem a little harsh for our liking. Getting ready to dial these back to try and gain some “plushness” hopefully without losing the great handling I have now. If I don’t get that ride I’m looking for out of the Legends...I’ll be looking at the GP’s

hattitude (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018 | 09:05 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lyork

right now GP suspensions has probably the best front fork cartridges for our bikes. Ohlins is releasing a new cartridge system, from what I’ve been told by Öhlins,... but it’s still unclear whether they will be externally adjustable as the GP’s are. I’m running Legends currently, but they seem a little harsh for our liking. Getting ready to dial these back to try and gain some “plushness” hopefully without losing the great handling I have now. If I don’t get that ride I’m looking for out of the Legends...I’ll be looking at the GP’s
Yep, I got mine from from Howard with his forum discount. Motorcycle Metal offers significantly savings than buying from GP direct.

The following 2 users liked this post by hbsoldier3:
hattitude (09-03-2018), lyork (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018 | 09:47 AM
Longridertx
Road Master

Originally Posted by lyork

I too am running Legends in the front and experience the harshness you have as well. Going to do the same and dial them back and see what happens. Have them set at 3 turns preload currently and going to dial them back to 1 turn to see if that works. Also I am going to re-adjust my Ohlins.

Old 09-03-2018 | 11:13 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Longridertx
I too am running Legends in the front and experience the harshness you have as well. Going to do the same and dial them back and see what happens. Have them set at 3 turns preload currently and going to dial them back to 1 turn to see if that works. Also I am going to re-adjust my Ohlins.
I talked to Legends...they said to go back to “zero”. I’m 280 and the wife is 180, the Legends are set to “2 turns” right now

Old 09-03-2018 | 12:27 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

I'm running Ohlins 30mm fully adjustable from Howard. There isn't a cartridge out there that compares to these. All cartridge suspension is an improvement over stock though.

The following 2 users liked this post by tj316:
hbsoldier3 (09-03-2018), lyork (09-03-2018)

Quick Reply: Shock review, Howard's Ohlin #3-#3