Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth headsets

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 09:37 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 304 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Bluetooth headsets

I want to replace my current Scala Bluetooth in helmet headsets. The right speaker on my set has stopped working, and they are just old.
The current choices are extensive and a bit overwhelming.

This is what I am looking for in a replacement set.
Ability to pair with an iPhone and receive audible GPS directions from the phone thru the headset.
Good audible speakers.
Looking to buy a boxed set for two helmets. I will install one set in a 3/4 helmet and the set for my wife in a modular helmet.
I now use a Garmin GPS and it will not pair to my headset, pretty sure it will not pair to any headset.
Not a big music listener but streaming music from the phone would be a plus, especially for my wife on extended trips.
Being able to talk to other riders also a plus but seldom do any group riding.

This will be used on a 2012 Road Glide so it won't be paired to the bikes audio.

So everyone, any personal experience with the current Bluetooth headsets on the market?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:01 AM
badjujumatt
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I ordered the Cardo Packtalk duo from Revzilla. 15% off right now. Wont be here until Monday.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:14 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,083 Likes on 5,375 Posts

Scala cardo newest ones are by far the best. They are not the junk SENA offers. They have a few different options so do your home work. Larger and better speakers now. One model now uses voice activation rather than VOX . I had Cadro and replace a very old set with SENA S20 big mistake.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:33 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 305 Likes on 226 Posts

I have used the SENA system for years and very happy with it. Mine is an older model so I would assume the newer units are awesome. I've never needed to pair to a GPS or thought to try it with I phone navigation though. I just look at the TomTom I have for trips. I use it for music off my iPhone on my Road King.and nice to have in case I get a call. ( I'm on call for work 24/7 so don't give me crap having a phone on a ride, I don't have a choice )

Unless you need to take a call, have you considered upgrading your sound system with either a new head unit with Bluetooth or adding Bluetooth to yours. I recently did this and am very happy with it. Automatically syncs to my iPhone for tunes and is much louder and clearer than the stock head unit. Also added an amp and upgraded the speakers. I keep my phone on vibrate in my pocket and just pull over when I get a call and then call them back.

I had a friend that had a wife that was a ****** She couldn't stand silence. I loved to tease him when we were out riding that he needed to get headsets so his wife could talk to him. Fastest you have ever heard a loud "HELL NO!" The communication part on the Bluetooth headsets are that great but unless they have changed, you have to switch back and forth between voice and tunes. My wife quit wearing her headset a long time ago and just taps me on the shoulder and motions to turn the radio down so I can hear her if she feels the need to say something. Most of the time she's motioning for me to turn it up.

edit - for some reason the forum doesn't like the word ( talk er) It put asterisks there and wont let me correct it.

Last edited by EdwardK; 08-25-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:16 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,083 Likes on 5,375 Posts

SEAN is not water resistant at all. Sound is ok at best. Buggy with VOX and other devices. Try a A Scala cardo even my old ones are better than new SENA except the old ones like all of that time only had 4 hours battery life.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:23 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 687 Likes on 379 Posts

I have been very happy with my SENA 20S setup.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:37 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 216 Posts

I have SENA (I think SMH10’s) and have had them for several years. They work great for music, gps, streaming music and for bike to bike communications. I have no issues with them. Have used them in Some heavy rains, and still work well. They work well with both iPhone and android, and I bought mine in a 2 helmet kit. I think they are limited to 4 units for bike to bike.

on super long riding days (12-14 hrs) they do crap out, and need charged.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 08-25-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:48 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,454 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by badjujumatt
I ordered the Cardo Packtalk duo from Revzilla. 15% off right now. Wont be here until Monday.
Great pick!

Old 08-26-2018, 12:51 PM
gdt3
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Check out the UCLEAR AMP series. If you do a search you will find that they have been rated as the best sound out there. They will do everything you are asking about. The AMP series has models that pair to 2 bikes up to 10 bikes and are priced accordingly. None of the options out there are cheap though. This is the best headset review that I have been able to find.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
bill from tn (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 04:22 PM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by gdt3
Check out the UCLEAR AMP series. If you do a search you will find that they have been rated as the best sound out there. They will do everything you are asking about. The AMP series has models that pair to 2 bikes up to 10 bikes and are priced accordingly. None of the options out there are cheap though. This is the best headset review that I have been able to find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1kQAPUnCEY

Good luck.
I've had the first generation Uclear units (HBC Series) for a few years, they work great for audio and calls while riding. another cool feature on the Amp Pro series is the multi-hop, when a bunch are connected they use each paired unit as a repeater, extending the range significantly.