Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Venting !

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 05:50 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,630 Likes on 1,626 Posts
Default Venting !

What's wrong with installing a 3/16 Y fitting between the head breathers and then down to the ground on my 15 tri-glide ? Had my air filter off and alot of crap in there. Every other bike i've had i rerouted the breather to the ground, Just kinda lax doing this one. They did make it was on this one.

The other part of this question involves on what to use to clean the throttle body out. Just some carb and throttle body spray ? Maybe something better ? I thunk i'll look for some Techron rated cleaner.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:40 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

No comment on venting the heads as you suggest , but a good spray of carb cleaner or PJ1 Parts cleaner should clean out the crap inside the air box.
Just installed a K&N filter in my stock airbox and used a carb cleaner and a paper towel to wipe up any mess.
Rob

Old 08-21-2018, 07:01 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
What's wrong with installing a 3/16 Y fitting between the head breathers and then down to the ground on my 15 tri-glide ? Had my air filter off and alot of crap in there. Every other bike i've had i rerouted the breather to the ground, Just kinda lax doing this one. They did make it was on this one.

The other part of this question involves on what to use to clean the throttle body out. Just some carb and throttle body spray ? Maybe something better ? I thunk i'll look for some Techron rated cleaner.
Make sure a breather hose is not pinched. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:03 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

The only thing i'm changing is the T- fitting to a Y- fitting and then drilling a hole and running the line outside the air box to the ground. Don't see why the Y- fitting would make any differance at all as far as air flow coming out of the breathers.
My air box is clean, it's the throttle body intake that has some crud in it. I guess i will just use throttle body cleaner and spray while running at high idle. Really the air filter had very little oil on it.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:20 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Should work just fine. No pics, but I ran a rubber hose from my two crankcase breather bolts to a y fitting and then to a catch tank. Works great. That crud in there is the oil mist/vapor that gets routed back down the throat of the throttle body. Its an EPA thing. Designed to be sucked into cylinders and burnt. If you dont add a fuel management system and let it run hot as hell like it does when it comes from the factory, it probably does burn it, but if you add a tuner and increase fuel mixture, that cools down the engine, which does not burn the oil mist very efficiently. That leaves a lot of crap in your throttle body and soot buildup on top of your pistons.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:38 PM
TXPHNDL
Cruiser
Received 101 Likes on 56 Posts

That’s what I did only I kept the T fitting. Used 3/16 line to the T fitting and drilled a hole in the bottom of the air box and routed the line to the ground. Found a plastic part that holds interior auto door panels on and used it to plug the hole in the air cleaner where the breather hose went. Put in a new air cleaner when I did mod.
After about 8K the air cleaner still looks new.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:32 AM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

I have little different setup than what you guys are describing, and I drilled/tapped hollow backplate legs and installed hose barb fittings and ran 2 pieces fuel line (no "Y" or "T") both down side of motor to just below frame, and plugged breather passages to mouth of throttle body with silicone. Didn't bother with filter, catch can, or anything on breather lines--I did drill out low side holes to 1/8" under breather filters in rocker boxes when I had motor apart--but I get very little vapor and maybe just an occasional quarter size spot under bike where I park. In a garage I might give it a wipe but it's barely noticeable, and feels kinda old school which is alright with me.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:37 AM
Brew61
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Make sure a breather hose is not pinched. Don't ask me how I know.
You must of found out what I found out! LOL

Bruce

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 03:17 AM
Hydra57
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 08-22-2018, 05:48 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

Cleaned the air filter and rerouted my breather today and i must say not much air comes out of these new twin cam bikes. My evo had much more coming out. I think the hose is only something like 16 inchs long. Will see if i getany drops of oil on the ground like my shovel and evo had. Pan always had oil under it. No matter what it has to be better than letting all that crap build up in the engine.

Quick Reply: Venting !