Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for new exhaust... replacing D&D Fat Cat

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:07 PM
zzwiz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Time for new exhaust... replacing D&D Fat Cat

Hey Monster I might be interest in your fatcats. getting ready to do something with my stock RK

[IMG]local://upfiles/36060/3376916A59AA43D9BD7D70DA63AC593D.gif[/IMG]

Old 06-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Puzzled
Banned

Definitely keep us all in the loop with the sale of your D&D. Do you have the ghost pipe for it?

Old 06-28-2007, 10:17 PM
kinneydr
Novice

ANybody tried the fullsac duals kit? I wondered if they were any good considering they are so much less in price

Old 06-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really liked the Rinehart True Duals on my last bike -95" '03 RKC

I even put em on this one, but agree with Steve, once I built the engine, they were just too loud. Pulled em off and sold them and went witht he RB Racing LSR Blackholes, much quieter.

Still like the sound of them though on most bikes.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:32 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve,

Are you running the standard baffle or the quite baffle. Sound? How much work is it to change baffles?

Monstermile,

Did you think about changing the baffle to the quiet one? I have heard that it is still loud. I really like the sound of my Fat Cat but it is LOUD! Especially anything over 2500 rpm.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:49 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Pawnbroker

Steve,

Are you running the standard baffle or the quite baffle. Sound? How much work is it to change baffles?
I have the quiet baffle, brand new in the box. But right now I'm running a modified standard baffle, the previous owner took the baffle out and cut open the can of the baffle and wrapped it with packing. Then he re-welded it shut and re-installed it into the muffler, he said it took the "snap or crackle" out of the exhaust and made it sound much better.

I've tried tonight to get the baffle out to install the quiet one, but I can't get the damn thing to move an inch. I started a thread about removing the baffle, and I'm hoping someone has an easy way to do it. Not sure if a slide hammer will work, nothing to secure it to in the baffle.

Steve

Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 PM
two dogs
Cruiser

Got to be hot so less expansion, rubber mallet couple hits around the endcaps, baffle came out with the end caps, I love the quiet baffles, different sound, really more of the sound I want from a true dual. Now when I get into it they will still bark plenty

Old 06-28-2007, 11:06 PM
swipter
Tourer

Since no one posted about the V&H Pro Pipe. Had one on my Indian for about 4 years with no bluing. It was carb'd so you may have different results. Sounded great...a little loud for my tastes.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Phast Lap: Just cusrious why are you thinking about going from the Rinehart to the Fat Cat??? And where are you located???

Puzzled: Sorry no ghost pipe. If I decide to switch and I don't do a trade somehow, they will be up for sale.

pawnbroker: Thought about going to the quiet baffle. But I thought I read somewhere that they are wrapped and once the wrapping burns away that you have the same sound as the standard baffle. I don't mind how loud the Fat Cat is. I just don't like the sound. Like I said in my op they are too blatty and tinny sounding. No thump to them. More of a growl. Not my cup o' tea. And the fact that I lost some low to mid torque bothers me too.

zzwiz: Keep an eye on the classified. That is where they will go if I decide to sell.

Steve and Dalton: When you say the Rineharts got too loud with engine work how do you mean?? Same sound just louder?? Or did it change the overall sound???

Old 06-29-2007, 07:25 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

Steve and Dalton: When you say the Rineharts got too loud with engine work how do you mean?? Same sound just louder?? Or did it change the overall sound???
It changed the overall sound and got louder. It went to a tone that just drove my ears crazy and gave me a headache everytime I rode.

The Quiet baffle and the Standard baffle for the Fatcat are different, it's just not a wrapped baffle. The standard baffle has a solid outer can with the louvered core, the quiet baffle has a perferated outer can with the louvered core and then they wrap the outer can with packing.

Steve

Quick Reply: Time for new exhaust... replacing D&D Fat Cat