Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference Between Street Glide and Road Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Puzzled
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Difference Between Street Glide and Road Glide?

The Road Glide cost $600 less and comes with cruise control in comparison to the Street Glide (Base model).

An Electra Glide Classic comes with a tour pack for $200 less than a Street Glide (Base model).

For $1900 more you can get an Ultra Classic and get a tour pack, lowers, cb andcruise in comparison to a Street Glide (base model).

I think the E Glide Classic is a good deal. Strip the lights and add a set of lowering shocks and you have a Street Glide. Obviously there are other difference but these are what I use when I'm asked "which bike".

Old 06-28-2007, 10:15 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bdavis

Thanks everyone. My local dealer has one Road Glide in stock and no Street Glides. From the pics I've seen online they look pretty similar.

GlideMan,
How does the power off the line compare to your Sportster?
I also have an 02 Sportster and the acceleration off the line is much better than the RG. However, when you are on a bagger its not how fast you get there, it's how good you look doing it. The power is fine on the RG and the 6 speed is great. All kind of mods to do to increase power too. Check some of the post here and look at the mods users have installed. On one last note I do not believe HD makes as many RG's as SG's. Kinda nice standing out without even trying.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:21 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

bdavis,

They may look the same at first but when you really get to know the differences, they are very different. As was mentioned above, the Road Glide has a fairing that is mounted to the frame and doesn't move with the handlebars. The fairing is also farther from the rider as a result. Therefore, it seems like a lot of taller riders like it in particular. Because the fairing is not connected to the front forks, the Road Glide owners claim that they aren't as affected by wind turbulence and are more stable at highway speeds. Their claim is that it is "rock solid". The Street Glide has a fairing that is attached to the front forks. The fairing is larger and closer and moves when you turn the handlebars. The Street Glide is mostly the same as an Electra Glide Standard, Classic and Ultra Classic. The differences are mostly cosmetic so you could use one of those to compare the look and "feel" of the fairing. One other big thing on the Street Glide is that the rear shocks are lowered an inch. I don't remember if that is the case with the Road Glide. That is one of the things that makes the Street Glide look so cool but it is supposed to decrease the ride comfort somewhat. If your dealer has a Road Glide in stock compare that to any of the Electra Glides as far as the fairing is concerned, that should help you get started.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:59 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a rk custom, it also has lowered rear shocks. The Rg does not. I have rented them all, before I bought my bike, and I don't feel the lowered suspension made any obvious ride difference, IMO. But, the look of a lowered bike is awsome. The engine cases look different, as mentioned above. The rg is silver, and the sg is black and chrome. Other than that, I think The Pawnbroker nailed the comparison.