Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles before dealership considers bike not to be new?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 09:28 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Don’t know if it is still true, and don’t know if this applies to motorcycles, but in Colorado 30 year’s ago any vehicle that had more than 100 miles on it couldn’t be sold as new. Ended up getting a Ford Bronco for 30% below wholesale because a dealer tried to pass the Bronco off as new...it had 500 miles on it. The dealer’s gave me a great deal when I threatened to call the dealer licensing bureau. Sold it 4 years later for more than I paid for it...NO DEPRECIATION!!

Old 08-18-2018, 10:44 PM
AEaton10
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pikes Peak HD has a 2018 CVO road glide on the floor right now with 44 miles on it. Because it was sold, it is used. They still want 42K for it though.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:06 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamreading
I work for a main brand car dealership in the UK. Here we do have specific demonstrator vehicles which are the sold as used from 3 months onwards. However we can still use “new” vehicles for test drives and up to 200 “delivery” Miles is considered acceptable.

Many of the the new models do have a software system that allows for one reset back to 0 before the clock gets to 100. Once past that point the software turns off. Again this is to allow for delivery between dealerships where a transporter would be uneconomical.

Once past about 150 miles, most dealerships would self-register the car as a “pre-reg” or use it as a demo.
totally not legal here in the states. i can't believe they could do that over there either. (not saying you're wrong, i just can't believe that that would be legal....)

Old 08-19-2018, 02:32 AM
Adamreading
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is straight from manufacturer internal forum.

Originally Posted by skratch
totally not legal here in the states. i can't believe they could do that over there either. (not saying you're wrong, i just can't believe that that would be legal....)

Old 08-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I purchased my bike with 300 miles on it as new. They had a good price on it so I bought it. The "new" designation I believe has more to do with warranty (what is covered) then anything else.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:18 AM
fireman64
Road Warrior
Received 1,583 Likes on 329 Posts

An old car collection sold from a closed dealer ship, estate sale, claimed some cars as new with miles on them, but said they're still new because they have never been registered for license .

Old 08-19-2018, 11:21 AM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by OldRegulator
How many miles must be on a motorcycle before a dealer considers the bike *not* to be "new"?

I know they ride the bikes a certain specified amount during setup (8 miles?), and then you have the test drives but is a bike with > 100 miles on it still "new"?

Or must the bike be sold at least once after leaving the factory before it's not considered new anymore?

My dealer has bikes with 20+ miles on them that they say are "new" but just "test driven". It seems guys test drive a color they don't like and then buy a low mileage one.

Maybe I'm too picky, but when I buy something labeled new it should not be ridden by anyone except the tech assembling the bike from the crate.
Once it's titled, it is used, regardless of miles.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:25 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamreading
This is straight from manufacturer internal forum.

i still can't believe that that's legal.... i wonder if they have that 'option' here in the states. what is the brand of auto?
is that 200k cumulative? or can you keep zeroing it out before it reaches the 200k mark?

Old 08-19-2018, 11:41 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,322 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i still can't believe that that's legal.... i wonder if they have that 'option' here in the states. what is the brand of auto?
is that 200k cumulative? or can you keep zeroing it out before it reaches the 200k mark?
Read the post, it’s a one time thing.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:48 PM
Ursadorable
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

for 5 seconds at the switch module on the steering wheel
So obviously not a Harley thing, unless they started coming with steering wheels and I missed it.

Quick Reply: How many miles before dealership considers bike not to be new?