Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles before dealership considers bike not to be new?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 10:01 AM
OldRegulator
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleD8
Y'all do realize that the dealer can reset the odometer to whatever they want. Typically 10 miles.
Turning back odometers is illegal. I'd highly doubt that the software/EPROM update mechanism has the ability to reset the miles...

Old 08-18-2018, 10:12 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
Old 08-18-2018, 11:13 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Y'all do realize that the dealer can reset the odometer to whatever they want. Typically 10 miles.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:50 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

bwahahahha... what?

where did you hear of this claptrap?

Old 08-18-2018, 01:59 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,629 Likes on 1,626 Posts

I wouldn't buy a 'new' bike that had more than 10 miles on it. I was offered a deal on a trike that had 75 miles on it. I was just about to say yes when the wife spoke up and said same deal on one in the back with no miles on it.. That's the one i rode out with.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Adamreading
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I work for a main brand car dealership in the UK. Here we do have specific demonstrator vehicles which are the sold as used from 3 months onwards. However we can still use “new” vehicles for test drives and up to 200 “delivery” Miles is considered acceptable.

Many of the the new models do have a software system that allows for one reset back to 0 before the clock gets to 100. Once past that point the software turns off. Again this is to allow for delivery between dealerships where a transporter would be uneconomical.

Once past about 150 miles, most dealerships would self-register the car as a “pre-reg” or use it as a demo.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:04 PM
jazzkat
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamreading
I work for a main brand car dealership in the UK. Here we do have specific demonstrator vehicles which are the sold as used from 3 months onwards. However we can still use “new” vehicles for test drives and up to 200 “delivery” Miles is considered acceptable.

Many of the the new models do have a software system that allows for one reset back to 0 before the clock gets to 100. Once past that point the software turns off. Again this is to allow for delivery between dealerships where a transporter would be uneconomical.

Once past about 150 miles, most dealerships would self-register the car as a “pre-reg” or use it as a demo.
I could understand it on a car and have watched them drive on and off the RoRos at Southampton but a bike would be easier to transport more economically by van than a car. Having said that I am surprised that a car could conceivably have 300 miles (one reset and 200) and still be considered new!

Old 08-18-2018, 04:12 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,212 Likes on 4,412 Posts

If you believe a "new" motorcycle needs to have only a few miles, to be considered truly "new".... Stand by to get really pissed off.........

I found out about this when I bought a brand new $45K Ram diesel truck, with 12 miles on it. It had repaired collision damage (side of the truck bed and rear crew cab door), that I found while detailing the truck. It was sold to me as a new vehicle, and I was NOT told about the damage and repair... and you know what... it was completely legal...!!!!

According to the California Vehicle Code, damage sustained by a new motor vehicle is only material if the damage required repairs having a value, including parts and labor calculated at the repairer’s cost, exceeding 3 percent of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price of the vehicle or five hundred dollars ($500), whichever is greater. If the damage is NOT material, it does not have to be disclosed by the dealership....... This per California vehicle code, sections 9990, 9991, 9992, & 9993 CVC.

So they would have to have repaired damage (certain types of damage must be reported regardless of cost, see the listed sections) with a repair value greater than $1,350, before they MUST advise me of the repaired damage......!! Of course, they claimed the damage only cost them $900 to fix, and they had a receipt in that amount.

I was lucky..... I found unrepaired damage they had missed. I got a repair quote of $3900 to fix the un-repaired damage, and to fix their very poor damage repair. This clearly put it over the limit, and them in violation of the law...

To avoid a lawsuit and/or me filing a complaint with the State Attorney General, they took back the damaged truck, replacing it with a one year newer model, that had two extra options I didn't have on the older truck....

Before you all blame crazy CA for these stupid laws, when I was doing my research about this, there are like 40 other states that have similar laws....

To summarize, your brand new $30K Harley, with 4 miles on it, could also have $900 (at dealer's cost) worth of repaired damage to it, and the dealer DOES NOT have to tell you about it......

Last edited by hattitude; 08-18-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:07 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Once you sign the papers, a brand new bike with 0 miles on it, just became a used bike with 0 miles on it.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:04 PM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my 2018 Ultra Limited with 1 mile.

Quick Reply: How many miles before dealership considers bike not to be new?