Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles before dealership considers bike not to be new?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 08:01 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,322 Likes on 3,178 Posts

As soon as you sign the paperwork and register it, it's considered used. You don't even have to ride it off the lot.

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (08-18-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 08:22 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I believe new is defined by a sale date, not mileage. I recently looked at a "used" 2018 Limited with 400 miles, but since the warranty started the day of the first sale, it couldn't really be sold as new. I think a demo bike with more miles would be sold as new with a full warranty.

Beary
Interesting thought crossed my mind when I read your comment.
I once considered an FLHTC (2004) that was the Principle Dealer (owners bike) and it had 20,000 miles...yes miles and had I bought it that day the original warranty would apply as if it where day one out the door.
Thats how the sales rep was pushing it, but at 10% interest and a 6 year term I laughed and left.
Rob

Old 08-17-2018, 08:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
So no more" freight and prep" charge?
interesting you should mention that. freight, i don't think you're gonna get around that, the dealer pays for getting it from the factory. but setup? if you look on the h-d website, you'll find this at the bottom of every 'specs and pricing page'

Old 08-17-2018, 08:43 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by OldRegulator

Maybe I'm too picky, but when I buy something labeled new it should not be ridden by anyone except the tech assembling the bike from the crate.
if they start doing that it will be the end of test rides before you buy , unless you're there on the day the demo ride trailer from HD is there . no way are the dealers gonna eat any cost for people to take test rides .

Old 08-17-2018, 08:55 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I believe new is defined by a sale date, not mileage. I recently looked at a "used" 2018 Limited with 400 miles, but since the warranty started the day of the first sale, it couldn't really be sold as new. I think a demo bike with more miles would be sold as new with a full warranty.

Beary
I bought a 16 Tri Glide in the fall of 17. It had 300 miles on it. HD started the warranty the day I picked it up.
Still has a yr left on the warranty.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:20 AM
jazzkat
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by not_so_newb
if they start doing that it will be the end of test rides before you buy , unless you're there on the day the demo ride trailer from HD is there . no way are the dealers gonna eat any cost for people to take test rides .
this is how it works over here in the U.K.
Every dealer has a test fleet that gets used for demos and they sell them off at the end of the year. When you buy anew bike you get just that. With maybe a few miles in the clock from the mechanics test ride. No one else will have ridden it.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:07 AM
OldRegulator
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzkat

this is how it works over here in the U.K.
Every dealer has a test fleet that gets used for demos and they sell them off at the end of the year. When you buy anew bike you get just that. With maybe a few miles in the clock from the mechanics test ride. No one else will have ridden it.
That's seems a sensible way to do it, and some non-HD dealers do the same in my area - BMW, Honda come to mind.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:14 AM
Robb Liupo
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OldRegulator
How many miles must be on a motorcycle before a dealer considers the bike *not* to be "new"?

I know they ride the bikes a certain specified amount during setup (8 miles?), and then you have the test drives but is a bike with > 100 miles on it still "new"?

Or must the bike be sold at least once after leaving the factory before it's not considered new anymore?

My dealer has bikes with 20+ miles on them that they say are "new" but just "test driven". It seems guys test drive a color they don't like and then buy a low mileage one.

Maybe I'm too picky, but when I buy something labeled new it should not be ridden by anyone except the tech assembling the bike from the crate.
I totally agree, I went to pick up a new car once, after signing all the paperwork I got in the car to drive it home, I saw it had 350 miles on it. I went back to the showroom tore up the paperwork and walked out. I would never buy a $25,000 bike with any mileage greater than the service tech test ride. F them, go to another dealer.

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 08:50 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,216 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb Liupo
I totally agree, I went to pick up a new car once, after signing all the paperwork I got in the car to drive it home, I saw it had 350 miles on it. I went back to the showroom tore up the paperwork and walked out. I would never buy a $25,000 bike with any mileage greater than the service tech test ride. F them, go to another dealer.
I agree. If a "new" bike has more than 10 miles on it I have to wonder if whoever had ridden it in the past was hitting the rev limiter with every gear shift. Probably not a big deal to a lot of people, but like you said, if I'm laying down that kind of money for a bike, I want one that I know hasn't possibly been abused.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:11 AM
DoubleD8
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Y'all do realize that the dealer can reset the odometer to whatever they want. Typically 10 miles.

Quick Reply: How many miles before dealership considers bike not to be new?