Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Zumo 550 & itunes

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:39 PM
fatboyemt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin Zumo 550 & itunes

I was reading the Garmin Zumo 550 owners manual today. It states that the MP3 player will not play itunes songs. Anyone found a way around this? I am planning to purchase the 550 but not being able to play my itunes library through it is a show stopper.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:43 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Garmin Zumo 550 & itunes

the ZUMO plays MP3s.

Tunes purchased from iTunes are in m4p format (protected).

If you ripped your own MP3s and loaded them into ITunes.. you are OK. If the file extension is m4p or m4a or anything pretty much other than MP3 you will need to convert 'em to MP3 format

Want a great lil converter to make 'copies' of your protected/purchased music into MP3 format so you can play 'em?????

Get SoundTaxi:

http://www.soundtaxi.info/

Like $15 to downloado and it can convert (makes a copy really) your different audio formats to MP3 format.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:08 PM
allikanbe
Advanced

Hey,

Check this forum http://www.zumoforums.com it's user friendly and had lots of info. do a search on itunes. i think i read a way to get around this problem.
The zumo is great so far. i have the sat radio and also mp3s.the website also gives install info on HD.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:07 PM
hartick
Tourer

is there a way to hear the music better when plugged into the stereo aux input? i have the volume all the way up on the stereo, and the music setting at 100%. still cannot hear the music above idle speed. same with turn directions.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:33 PM
fatboyemt
Advanced

A couple of thoughts.

Make sure you've connected to the line out port and not the head phone port.

Make sure your patch cord is not attenuated. Some patch cords have a resistor built in to reduce the signal. You can check it with an ohm meter if you have one. The tip to tip and base to base should measure darn close to zero ohms. If you do not have a meter and you know the cable part number check the MFG website.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:49 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just about ready to take the plunge and order the zumo 550
when I read this about unacceptablesound levels forhearing the tunes and voice prompt.

Igot off the phone a little earlierwith azumo tech and she said the cable to connect the zumo to my 2003 Ultra radio aux is stereo andwill make it all happen for me.

Also, will the CB and or intercom still cut in if I'm listening to the MP3?
Does the voice prompt cut inregardless of whichaudio mode is in playlike the CB or intercom?
any real experiences, or it this just spec?

chappy

Old 06-29-2007, 01:16 AM
alexcue
Road Master

Just making sure but have you raised the volume on the unit itself? there is a hard button with the little speaker on it, on overlay will appear then you can raise the master volume. It sounds fine on my Ultra, at 80mph.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:19 AM
alexcue
Road Master

ORIGINAL: chappy

when I read this about unacceptablesound levels for hearing the tunes and voice prompt.

I got off the phone a little earlier with a zumo tech and she said the cable to connect the zumo to my 2003 Ultra radio aux is stereo and will make it all happen for me.

Does the voice prompt cut in regardless of which audio mode is in play like the CB or intercom?

chappy

remember how you are wired into the radio. You are using the aux input. the CB and/or intercom will cut into the the Zumo audio. Voice prompts therefore will be overriden also.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:13 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: alexcue

ORIGINAL: chappy

when I read this about unacceptablesound levels for hearing the tunes and voice prompt.

I got off the phone a little earlier with a zumo tech and she said the cable to connect the zumo to my 2003 Ultra radio aux is stereo and will make it all happen for me.

Does the voice prompt cut in regardless of which audio mode is in play like the CB or intercom?

chappy

remember how you are wired into the radio. You are using the aux input. the CB and/or intercom will cut into the the Zumo audio. Voice prompts therefore will be overriden also.
Thanks for your reply,
That does make perfect sense.

One more for you;
If you are listening to the zumo, multi media, MP3over your H-D radio; can you cange to CD, FM, or any other of the Audio Modes while the zumo to radio cable is still plugged into the H-D radio "AUX"?
If so, or not, Does the Audio Mode read out include the "AUX" as another mode to choose from, or do you have to unplug it to listen to any of the radio audio modes?

I just re-read this and I'm not sure if I'm clearly asking what I'm seeking to know or not! lol
If not, I'm sorry about that.

today is the day I order it.

Thanks to everyone for your help and info.

chappy

Old 06-29-2007, 09:39 AM
fatboyemt
Advanced

I do not have the 550 yet but I do use my daughters ipod through the aux port. When it's plugged in I can flip through the AM, FM, CD, WB, and AUX modes. When the ipod is un-plugged the aux mode drops out.

Quick Reply: Garmin Zumo 550 & itunes