Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED bulbs for HAD fog lamps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Mike flhp
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LED bulbs for HAD fog lamps?

Hoping someone knows if there are LED's to replace the 'yellow ish' bulbs on my HD fog lamps. Looks like they no longer sell the lamps, pn may be 68913-98C. Think they're halogen but not sure.

At any rate, hoping to match the rest of the bike....all LED.

Hoping to get a bit better light down the road as well....deer hell coming soon here in Michigan.

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2018, 11:31 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

LED bulbs don't work well in a lamp with a reflector designed for halogen.
The bulb is a 55W H3 bulb part # 68918-98. I don't see why you couldn't find one online
Check eBay, Amazon and http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline....ge_580440596=2
If they tell you they can't get it, look for a compatible H3 bulb, like at https://www.bulbamerica.com/

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2018, 12:04 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

If you have the small oval H-D fog lamps, I do too. The lamp body is very small and an H3 bulb is a snug fit inside the reflector. I have yet to find an LED bulb that will fit, so best of luck! We're on opposite sides of the Atlantic and you may have different bulbs available, so I will be watching this thread closely! I only use mine as extra daytime lights and it would be great to reduce overall electrical consumption on my old Glide.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:39 PM
K. Lindberg
Road Captain
Received 376 Likes on 211 Posts

Our Evos make use of Alternators with permanent magnets as far as I know.

The permanent magnet alternator setup is not very efficient, but it is very simple and quite reliable.

One of the problems with these systems is the short-circuiting of the excess power itself.
(Yes, alternator with permanent magnets delivers full power regardless if you run with lights on or not).

This is done by the regulator-rectifier and this part has to dissipate the power that it shorts to ground, meaning it will get very hot.
This is mostly because of the regulator and partly by the rectifier-diodes themselves that get hot just because of the current flowing through it.

So, by installing a LED light that draws 2 amps while the H4 draws 4 amps is not really a saving.
The alternator still delivers full rated current.
It's just that the "saved" 2 amps is sent to the bikes ground, and in reality back to the alternator.
Remember, You need a closed circuit to be able to deliver current.

Gold wings and some BMW uses the same system as cars do, that's alternators without magnets. They uses instead a exitation winding that receives a regulated voltage thus the alternator output is regulated according to the electrical load required. So in bikes with alternators like these, there is actually a saving to be had if using low current LED lights.

However there is one benefit in using bulbs that draws litle current also on our type of alternators.
If you make a lot of start and stops without giving the alternator time to recharge your battery it could eventually drain the battery.
Using LED lights will give the alternator more amps to recharge the battery, but as soon as the battery is fully charged the excess amount of current is diverted to ground again.

If You opt for an H4 bulb then do not fall into the trap of buying a "rally" version with 100W on full beam.
The produced heat from the 100W bulb when running on full beam will make the reflector become dim and cloudy in some cases.
100W H4 bulbs should only be used in minimum 7" shells and with metall reflectors.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:37 PM
K. Lindberg
Road Captain
Received 376 Likes on 211 Posts

Oh no.
Did not see how old this thread is...