Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer purchase or individual

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:28 AM
BBarnesTN
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer purchase or individual

I've been away from motorcycles for 30 years other than riding my son's sport bike CBR1000RR and Ninja 636. Last HD I owned was an '84 Sportster 1200 in 1993. I'm currently shopping for an Electra Glide or Road Glide now that I can ride in relative safety (lived in Charleston, SC before moving to Tennessee). I've found several on FB Marketplace as well as local dealerships. I know the dealers go through the bikes and change the oil and such, as well as sell aftermarket warranties on used bikes. Other than that, us there a real benefit to buying from a dealer? Do I need a warranty? I'm retired and will ride locally as well as a long distance trip once or twice a year. Looking at 2011 or newer bikes under 60,000 miles. Thanks!

Old 08-16-2018, 10:36 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by BBarnesTN
I've been away from motorcycles for 30 years other than riding my son's sport bike CBR1000RR and Ninja 636. Last HD I owned was an '84 Sportster 1200 in 1993. I'm currently shopping for an Electra Glide or Road Glide now that I can ride in relative safety (lived in Charleston, SC before moving to Tennessee). I've found several on FB Marketplace as well as local dealerships. I know the dealers go through the bikes and change the oil and such, as well as sell aftermarket warranties on used bikes. Other than that, us there a real benefit to buying from a dealer? Do I need a warranty? I'm retired and will ride locally as well as a long distance trip once or twice a year. Looking at 2011 or newer bikes under 60,000 miles. Thanks!
You'll pay more at a dealership, but there's more security in a dealer purchase (depending upon the dealer, of course). Too, a dealership is WAY easier if you plan to finance.

If you're a cash buyer, do your homework. Know what to look for when purchasing a used Harley. Plenty of info out there, like this - https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ke-buying-tips

Save a little cash for "after the purchase". Inevitably, there's something that you'll either need or want to change. Too, I always change all fluids after buying a used vehicle of any kind, then I know when and what kind of fluids are in the bike.

Best of luck!

Old 08-16-2018, 10:48 AM
woodthumb2
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

onman is correct... if you have the cash and the time... shop cycle trader and research like crazy... look around outside your area a little...find one that has been dealer serviced and upgraded and tuned and kept clean inside .. a garage queen some of us call em..look at all the maint. records...you will also learn alot and hopefully feel at ease just by talking to the previous owner.. no dealer for me

Old 08-16-2018, 11:02 AM
QNman
Supporter

Oh - and if buying used, look for one as close to STOCK as possible. Never trust another man's upgrades. (I'm talking engine mods, not chrome).

Old 08-16-2018, 11:11 AM
BBarnesTN
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found several close that list Stage 1 and 2, pipes etc. All done by HD with receipts.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

I've bought both private and from dealers. A dealer is a good place to start, if only to better understand the models and get a feel for the bikes, specs, prices, etc. Who knows, you might even find just the right bike sizing YOU up.....

Old 08-16-2018, 11:30 AM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by BBarnesTN
Found several close that list Stage 1 and 2, pipes etc. All done by HD with receipts.
I'd want to see those receipts. If all work was done by the dealer and could be documented, I'd be OK with it.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:46 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

stage 1 no worries. almost everyone does a stage 1 on their hd (ac, exhaust and tune). stage 2 starts getting a little iffy, but not completely out yet. you'll find that the more extreme the engine mods, the harder the owner rode it. you don't do a full bore, with extreme cams to ride like grandpa

Old 08-16-2018, 12:09 PM
halnwheels
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're looking at a 2011 on the FLH platform, then you're talking about a twin cam engine, The TC's were in their best form in these newer years, but they have issues with cam bearings and chain tensioners. Those are issues that stand out, but there is the usual cast of characters too.

I would buy from a dealer and put as much years of extended warranty (ESP) as they will sell you. Don't let people tell you that the chain tensioner issue was solved in 2007, not really. The hydraulic chain tensioners is an improvement, but the chain still runs across the tensioner shoes and they will wear. If they wear down to the metal, you'll be very unhappy. This is an inspection item that you should have the dealer do. The ESP is good but you must understand how it's executed. Let's say a head goes at 70K miles. They will replace the head ($50 deductible). One head. Would you ride with one new head and one with 70K on it? So, you pay parts and labor for the second head. A good dealer will be able to tie some of the labor cost into the first head, but you get the idea. See if the dealer has records on the bike you look at. Were the tensioners inspected/replaced? A bike serviced at the dealer will have service records accessible by any dealer. You want that.

I love my 2003 Ultra. I've got 92K on it but it cost me a bit of money to keep it how I want it. They no longer will let me put a service plan on it but I got 12 years of ESP out of it. Now they only do 10, so talk with them and see if it makes sense to buy as much as will require you to renew in the last year. Maybe you can get more years out of it that way. It's worth it.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:06 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

I only buy used bikes, so I look for the best deal whether it's a private seller or dealer. Dealers charge more. But if they have a bike I want and it checks out, I'll buy it.

Several years ago I bought a used BMW from BMW of Countryside (Countryside IL). A couple weeks after the purchase, the ABS module failed. I bought the bike as-is with no warranty. When I talked to the dealer GM about the issue, he offered to split the repair cost with me 50-50. I don't think you'll find many dealers who will do this, but over the years, I had bought a few bikes from this one. I also used tact and diplomacy when I brought the attention to the GM's attention. I never complained.

Quick Reply: Dealer purchase or individual