Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering head grease what a mess!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:46 PM
THABULL
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering head grease what a mess!!

I took my bike to the dealer to get the complmentary 1st ser. don back in March , I beleive they must have used a whole tube of grease on my neck bearing. I have had to take my finger and scoop out grease 2 or 3 time times. Everytime I think I got itcleaned up I can go out for a ride just a few miles into the ride the whole left side of my bike is just covered in grease. The hotter it is outside the more it runs and blows. SORRY to vent but I'm justtired of having a bike constantly covered in grease spatter.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Steering head grease what a mess!!

At least you know they touched it [8D]

Old 06-28-2007, 03:50 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it back an' tell 'em to remove the CRAP they put in and put in the PROPER grease - it will NOT leak out like that!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:57 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

Take it back an' tell 'em to remove the CRAP they put in and put in the PROPER grease - it will NOT leak out like that!
My tool chest drawer says otherwise. I use the HD grease. It leaks out of the grease gun and causes a mess in the bottom of the drawer. Last weekend, a buddy came over and wanted to borrow the grease gun with the HD grease in it. I handed it to him. It leaked an oily mess all over his pants. Then, I decided to swap in a new cartridge. The new one that had been laying in the bottom of the drawer was sitting in an oily puddle from where it had leaked.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think that any good grease, as long as it's the same base and meets the NLGI spec, would work- and most don't liquify so readily...

Old 06-28-2007, 04:17 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stand corrected!! Then again, ah use a high-temp, marine grade grease in mine...

Old 06-28-2007, 05:55 PM
heavy K
Cruiser

i switched years ago to an exxon high temp grease...its red and very tacky...its used in the paving industry on hot topping equipment.....it does not run ooze or drip under any condition,but you have to go to a heavy equipment supplier to get it,,,,,,3 bucks for a tube that will last a lifetime (or a good portion of one). i would highly recomend the switch to anyone,once you clear out the stock grease you'll never have an issue again. and the prior advise about the N.G.L.I. certification is important there are major differences in grease products. i think harleys grease is way under spec for the application

Old 06-28-2007, 06:07 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lost1

I would think that any good grease, as long as it's the same base and meets the NLGI spec, would work- and most don't liquify so readily...
Same thing I have done for years....never once had a problem. They don't require grease very often anyways....just a little every now and then.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:41 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

ORIGINAL: EVOrider

Same thing I have done for years....never once had a problem. They don't require grease very often anyways....just a little every now and then.
the last time my 85 was greased was the day it was built. i never worried about it. my 76 shovel was greased the day it was built too. i'm not gonna start greasing them now.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Tech2
Tourer

ORIGINAL: bagga

ORIGINAL: EVOrider

the last time my 85 was greased was the day it was built. i never worried about it. my 76 shovel was greased the day it was built too. i'm not gonna start greasing them now.
Gotta agree with the last two posts. I don't grease mine and don't intend to. I asked my indy mechanic what grease to buy and he said it's not worth the bother, and especially not worth the mess. I suppose I'll only get 85,000 miles out of the bearings instead of 110,000. [8D]

Quick Reply: Steering head grease what a mess!!