Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering head grease what a mess!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 07:38 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Steering head grease what a mess!!

ORIGINAL: Tech2

ORIGINAL: bagga

ORIGINAL: EVOrider

ORIGINAL: Lost1

I would think that any good grease, as long as it's the same base and meets the NLGI spec, would work- and most don't liquify so readily...
Same thing I have done for years....never once had a problem. They don't require grease very often anyways....just a little every now and then.
the last time my 85 was greased was the day it was built. i never worried about it. my 76 shovel was greased the day it was built too. i'm not gonna start greasing them now.
Gotta agree with the last two posts. I don't grease mine and don't intend to. I asked my indy mechanic what grease to buy and he said it's not worth the bother, and especially not worth the mess. I suppose I'll only get 85,000 miles out of the bearings instead of 110,000. [8D]
Sure, I agree with not tearing down a front end to just greasethe bearings, I never have on my '77. My thinking is just run 'em till they need replaced, it's the same work either way. But why would you not grease the neck bearings when there is a fitting there to do the job?

Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Shank
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i replaced the straight grease zirk one with a 45 degree fitting,,,makes it a lot easier to get to......ive been using white lithium..????? is that ok,,,didnt seem to make a mess...what ya all think...????...sound ok ???

Old 06-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Big Pa
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Brother,('07 Street Glide) Just had the same exact thing happen to him.
I told him to bitch plenty at the dealership.
Joe

Old 06-28-2007, 09:40 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley actually has two different greases. The Touring bikes take the axle type grease (much thicker) not the thin stuff intended for steering heads in softails. Maybe they used the wrong grease. Any grease will seperate into oil and solid under static storage BUT should not leak from seals like you describe unless the seal is broken or the stuff is the wrong type to start with.

EZ

Old 06-28-2007, 09:43 PM
blackfinbob
Road Master

Man,
I agree with you. They have mine packed like a peanut butter sandwich. However I haven't had any problems yet. I'm guessin where you live is just too damn hot in the summer. lol
b

Old 06-28-2007, 10:00 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: EZ2Rider

Any grease will seperate into oil and solid under static storage BUT should not leak from seals like you describe unless the seal is broken or the stuff is the wrong type to start with.

EZ
The Touring models do not have any seals in the steering neck.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:14 AM
texas tom
Tourer

When the first service is done the neck in touring models needs to be filled up,it will take allmost a full tube,thereafter a few pumps fills it looking at service manual there are no seals in the neck. If you will swap out your zerc fitting with a 45 degree one it is easy to get to,then get a tube of synthetic grease clean as much of the old stuff off as you can pump a bunch of the syn in there clean it repeat every so often eventually you will get enough of the old stuff out and the syn wont leak out.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 AM
THABULL
Road Master

ORIGINAL: texas tom

When the first service is done the neck in touring models needs to be filled up,it will take allmost a full tube,thereafter a few pumps fills it looking at service manual there are no seals in the neck. If you will swap out your zerc fitting with a 45 degree one it is easy to get to,then get a tube of synthetic grease clean as much of the old stuff off as you can pump a bunch of the syn in there clean it repeat every so often eventually you will get enough of the old stuff out and the syn wont leak out.
That what I have been thing about doing ,pushing the old grease out with some good stuff. Shouldn't be hard it worksitself out in globs.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:46 AM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mechanic told me to use any good synthetic grease. I put Mobil I synthectic grease in. First time it almost took a whole tube before oozing out. I guess the setup I paid for when I bought it didn't do it. Haven't had any leaks after that.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:34 PM
cwilks
Banned

WE don't NEED no stinkin' neck grease!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Steering head grease what a mess!!