Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Undefined
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Exhaust System

Hi all,

I am a newbie in HD, got my first HD ('07 Road King Classic) last Dec. However, most of the parts are just stock, except for changing the handle bar to a Road King Custom handle bar by the dealer (of course, need to change the wires as well).

It's great that I found this forum and can learn a lot from different posts. Actually, I, myself, don't have any hands-on bike modification experience. Most likely, I asked the shop to install the things for me. However, it's difficult to find a shop locally that has a lot of experience in modifying a Harley, so I may need to seek for help from the garages that doing works for other types of the bike instead. So, got a couple of questions and wish you guys could help.
I am thinking of changing the exhaust.

Head Pipe:
Would really like to change to a true dual head pipe as the original exhaust pipe branches out to the right of the bike from the rear cylinder is really hot and make my passenger uncomfortable; however, some questions:
- Are there any good head pipes recommended?
- Are there any differences from changing the head pipe for a Harley then other bikes?
- I am not sure, should there be a O2 sensor on the original head pipe? If so, would it be usable in the new head pipe?

Mufflers and EFI tuning:
Would like to enhance the sound and performance of the bike, so am considering changing the mufflers and EFI tuning:
- Love to have a sound like a Harley and could be a little bit loud (at least could be noticeable), what muffler will give a better sound?
- noted that most of you guys use PCIII and some of you use tmax, how's the difference?
In addition, I noticed that there is a device on the original exhaust at the right-side, when I increase the throttle, the device will open up. Just would like to know what's that device and what's the function?

Thank you very much!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:49 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Question on Exhaust System

True duals will lower your low end power , thats why harleys branch off and funnel most of the exhaust out the right side cause the best power comes from a 2 into 1 system. Mufflers are all over the range from stock to setting car alarms off 10 blocks away, if you dont want to add a fuel mangement device(pcIII, tmax,or other) and some more sound, try the new screaming eagle performance for the 07's, They sound very good without being overly loud. You can search any of these subjects and find endless amounts of info .

Old 06-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Undefined
Novice

Thank you, gunrunner!

Just wonder whether I can get back the power loss from the true dual header with the fuel managment device on?

Actually, I believe the '07 SE maybe too quiet.... so, am looking into some other mufflers like V&N or Rinehart....

Old 06-29-2007, 02:47 PM
RIRAM
Advanced

Just installed the Rhinehart Slip-On's on my 07 Road King, sound is awesome. I had the two piece 07 SE's on prior. No comparison, Rhineharts are deep and low. Finally sounds like aHarley should. Running fine with just the slip-on's, no poping (I did use high temp sealent on the head pipes, no leakage).
Best price was from American Classic Motors on Ebay. I made an offer of $379.95 and it was accepted.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:23 PM
cubcake1
Tourer

I just put on rinehart true duals, a pcIII, and Super sucker air. The sound and performance is much better than stock IMHO.