Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30T front pulley how to do it properly

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018 | 03:22 PM
woodreaux
Road Captain

Slotting with a gusset is my choice too, I have a sprocket and gussets and need to install them.
certainly agree keeping the belt stock.

Old 08-15-2018 | 07:55 PM
BelchFire
Club Member

Brilliant solution and solid reasoning!

Old 08-16-2018 | 08:22 AM
Okiemech
Novice

Originally Posted by uwiik
I guess aftermarket belt is the only logical way to go since I already have the 30t on hand. What's the best aftermarket brand? 139t 24mm/1" is only available in aftermarket.
gates... gaterman... who knows. I went with what my indy ordered.

Old 08-16-2018 | 08:24 AM
Okiemech
Novice

Originally Posted by SBates08
I went a different route with the 30T pulley so I could retain the stock belt. Reason being, if by chance I ever broke a belt while on the road, the likelihood of a dealer having my belt would be substantially greater than if I were running an aftermarket belt.

I pulled the swing arm and slotted it 3/8" allowing the axle to move further back. Welded a gusset underneath the swing arm to strengthen it and welded a piece of key stock in place for the cam to rotate against. Been running it like this for over 40k miles with zero issues. YMMV.

Attachment 595296Attachment 595297
Beautiful welds. Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability, or the trust in their welding skills, to do something like this. I'm an A&P as well as a shadetree. Even did an apprenticeship as a bench jeweler. I consider myself a pretty good mechanic and have rebuilt more than a few twin cam motors. But theres no way I'd trust my welding abilities on a crucial item like that. If someone were to ask me to do something like you did, in order to retain the stock belt, I would take the swingarm and detailed dimension to a local machine shop or welder and have them do it. Too risky for an average Joe with a wire feed.

Last edited by Okiemech; 08-16-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2018 | 08:42 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Okiemech
Beautiful welds. Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability, or the trust in their welding skills, to do something like this. I'm an A&P as well as a shadetree. Even did an apprenticeship as a bench jeweler. I consider myself a pretty good mechanic and have rebuilt more than a few twin cam motors. But theres no way I'd trust my welding abilities on a crucial item like that. If someone were to ask me to do something like you did, in order to retain the stock belt, I would take the swingarm and detailed dimension to a local machine shop or welder and have them do it. Too risky for an average Joe with a wire feed.
Brother I wish I had those skills as well. I took it to a fab shop and had the gussets fabbed and welded on. Then once I had it home I slotted it myself. Hell if I could do fab and paint I'd be a dangerous man LOL.

Old 08-16-2018 | 02:23 PM
Bmusg
Tourer

Belt drives ltd. sells a Gates Polychain 1" 139 tooth belt. I'm not sure why people keep saying these are hard to find. I would definitely stay away from the Goodyear Falcon belts, they have a poor reputation and track record.

Old 08-18-2018 | 11:52 AM
uwiik
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bmusg
Belt drives ltd. sells a Gates Polychain 1" 139 tooth belt. I'm not sure why people keep saying these are hard to find. I would definitely stay away from the Goodyear Falcon belts, they have a poor reputation and track record.
Do you know where to get it from? Tried Ebay couldn't find 139T 1" gates polychain

Old 08-18-2018 | 04:32 PM
Bmusg
Tourer

Originally Posted by uwiik
Do you know where to get it from? Tried Ebay couldn't find 139T 1" gates polychain
Go to bdl-sales.com. The part number is pcc-139-1

Personally, I wouldn’t consider grinding and welding on a critical item like a swing arm for bikes as heavy as these touring sleds. Very easy to not only weaken the part but also change the brittleness in the area of the swing arm most prone to cracking.

Old 08-18-2018 | 04:58 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Personally, I wouldn’t consider grinding and welding on a critical item like a swing arm for bikes as heavy as these touring sleds. Very easy to not only weaken the part but also change the brittleness in the area of the swing arm most prone to cracking.
I agree - I went to a shorter belt on my old Glide. Fortunately for me a stock Sporty belt is just the thing.

Old 08-19-2018 | 08:46 PM
uwiik
|
Road Captain

Go to bdl-sales.com. The part number is pcc-139-1

Thanks for the information, I will go with Gates polychain. I don't mind slotting and welding the swingarm actually, I know done properly by a good welder it's not going to weaken anything but with 300% import tax in my country this 2015 RGS is still considered as super luxury bike and permanently modifying a major stock part like the swingarm will tank the resale value of my bike down the road and I still need to maintain my resale value because I will trade for M8 RGS the moment Harley figured out their sumping and trans oil migration issue.

Quick Reply: 30T front pulley how to do it properly