Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

louder pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018 | 03:41 AM
Chickybabe
|
Stage I
Default louder pipes

I have a 17 streetglide special with reinhart slip ons,is there a way to make them louder without a preformance upgrade?

Old 08-09-2018 | 09:19 AM
soulpatch
Tourer

Does it have a baffle screen/cone as well as a sock? you can remove the sock and the baffle cone will still keep up the backpressure. Will definitely increase your rumble/tone/loudness. I'm running V&H 4.5" and removing that sock made a huge difference in sound. But it's not a tinny, weird toned sound. Just a nice deep rumble.

Old 08-09-2018 | 06:24 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

Don't start the never ending cycle. Make the pipes louder, now you need an amp for the stereo. And the cycle starts all over again. The stereo sounds great now but you can't hear the pipes anymore over the stereo so you need louder pipes. Then a few years later, you can't figure out why your ears ring 24/7. Been there, done that, ears still ring 24/7.

Soulpatch has a great suggestion but keep in mind, when you start messing with the baffles, it's hard to get everything to go back right if you don't like the change. Especially if you start adding or poking larger holes. You can also get a catless head pipe from Fuel moto or take to an indy or muffler shop and have them remove the catalytic converter out of yours. That will help increase the volume and make it run cooler.

Another thing to keep in mind, all of this and possibly just the slip ons alone can easily void your warranty if you still have any left. Most of us don't care and do it anyway.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. We like helping new people spend their money.

Old 08-09-2018 | 07:04 PM
soulpatch
Tourer

Edward is correct. Remove the socks, try it out and if you don't like it, put the socks back on. Just don't go drilling any unnecessary holes. And yes, want the rumble without going def. Which is why I said to keep the baffle "skeleton" in and remove the sock. If you don't have a de-catted header, then Edward has a good idea in that area. So there are many options. Just keep in mind that some things are more permanent than others. Also, I forgot to ask...how old are your slip-ons? If they are virtually new, give them time. The socks WILL break in and you'll get a completely different tone than what you have now. It'll happen gradually over time and miles.