Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,013 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottHart
Thank you all for the replies. The sound doesn't change when I pull in the clutch, so I'm kind of ruling out the inner primary or even the outer primary.
Read my post again, if the inner primary bearing is the problem, the sound will not go away when you pull in the clutch lever, it will go away when you drop the lever into gear...

Old 08-09-2018, 08:42 PM
ScottHart
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Read my post again, if the inner primary bearing is the problem, the sound will not go away when you pull in the clutch lever, it will go away when you drop the lever into gear...
Noise stays the same, that's why I haven't thought it to be the primary bearings. Thanks for clarifying brother.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:50 PM
Chris gibson
Cruiser
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Put it in neatutal not running ,& push it bak& forth of if it makes noise then it’s trans bearin g.

Last edited by Chris gibson; 08-09-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:02 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

is the primary chain too tight?

Old 08-09-2018, 09:09 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Loose primary chain? Check tension. Get a factory service manual.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:28 AM
ScottHart
Intermediate

Chain set at 5/8, it was a little loose, but adjusting it didn't change anything.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:35 AM
ScottHart
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
If your compensator nut was loose, the only thing driving the alternator rotor was the Belville spring. If all you did was tighten the nut, you probably missed the spine gone. The face wears, and the sprocket moves over and the chain nips the sprocket since there is only .030 clearance for chain misalignment. What happened to mine. Mine then made an odd clicking noise in slow hard

left hand turns. .
I am wondering if it made any kind of scraping sound? As that is kind of what mine is doing. Did make a pinging sound, kind of like bad gas noise in a car, when it pings.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:25 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,986 Likes on 4,177 Posts

Mine has always made a hunting scraping sound at idle when hot at red lights from the compensator fingers being a little gaulded. The compensation got loose or alternator spline went at around 10k. Dealer tightened it back up twice under $100 copay warranty. Third time, I took it all the way apart when face had worn so far and gear had moved over. They told me they would not honor warranty since I had showed them up by taking it apart. After a little argument they game me 10% off on parts. I cut all my love for them off after the third screwing.

Like I said above, the noise with the chain nicking was a low slow tick. (The parts man told me he had sold a dozen rotors that year)

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-10-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:26 AM
ScottHart
Intermediate

Well, finally got some time to bust a move on this deal. And it is the outer cam chain tensioner that was making the noise like a bearing going south. So glad I didn't listen to some and keep riding. Could have been a big issue at the look of this.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:44 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottHart
Well, finally got some time to bust a move on this deal. And it is the outer cam chain tensioner that was making the noise like a bearing going south. So glad I didn't listen to some and keep riding. Could have been a big issue at the look of this.
I hope you took the time to change the inner tensioner as well.

Quick Reply: Stumped