Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi from New York

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 01:36 PM
Bikevet
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi from New York

I just joined the Forum. I ride a 2016 Ulra Limited Low. I have a question for the collective mind. I purchased the STS Smart Brake Module. It turns out to be made by some outfit in Slovenia. I later learned that Custom Dynamics makes one that is more plug and play. I know that there is one made by Gear Brake as well. I showed this thing to the H-D Service manager at my local dealership and he thinks that it might be a problem. The unit consists of a box (presumably consisting of a mercury switch) that detects deceleration and activates the brake lights. There are two modes one is steady on (as if you activated the brakes) and the other is flashing mode. There are three leads coming out of this unit. One goes to ground, one to a source of power controlled by the ignition switch and the third goes to the make brake light wire. There are little clips that connect the unit to the wires. The H-D service manager worries that it may trigger a problem code on the bike and if nothing else puts more strain on the electrical system. Has anyone any experience using this gadget?

Old 08-05-2018, 05:55 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,276 Likes on 4,444 Posts

I have never heard of the STS Smart Brake Module....

I just looked it up. It seems like a complicated way to let people behind you know you're stopping, or slowing down, or maybe just decelerating......

We've had a way of doing that for years, it's called a brake light.... you pull the lever and your light goes on. It's an international signal that you are slowing or stopping. I don't see the need to have the brake light pre-flash, when you are just slowing down or decelerating... If you're slowing quickly, you're most likely using your brake and that time-tested brake light thing we all have....

The STS Smart Brake Module, sure seems like a complicated solution in search of a problem...

I won't argue it's good to have an edge, for visibility, to those following you.... But there are several good alternatives that are simple LED versions of the OEM brake light. I've used two different makes of them....

I have the BAL-1 LED brake light on two bikes and the Custom Dynamics LED brake light on another. Both companies make very good products. Both are bright LEDs to get the attention of someone behind you. Both are simple plug & play installs, with great customer service if needed.

The BAL will let you select flash patterns (I use three quick flashes then solid), and the Custom Dynamics is just a bright LED light (unless you add a flasher module). Both companies have a few versions of their lights... but the basic one for each company is much brighter than OEM, and gets people's attention.

The best part about both companies' products is that YOU control the light..... not some magic box with "advanced motion sensors and special algorithm"... It only comes on when you pull/tap the brake lever. They come on any time you're braking, or if you decide to flash a tailgater. Doesn't get any simpler than that..

I'm not big on nanny devices that do things in the name of my safety. I would rather have control (and responsibility) for my own safety....

That's my 2 cents, good luck with whatever you decide to use....

Last edited by hattitude; 08-05-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:02 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

+1 with the BAL-1, cars have increased their distance behind me because of the intensity of the light. As far as your brake module, I would be concerned if it is compatible with the Can-bus wiring you might have on your bike.
Welcome to the forum, lot's of information here and some answers may rub you the wrong way but most are here to help you out using their experience/knowledge.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:40 PM
Bikevet
Stage III

Thanks. You are undoubtedly right. Nice Great Dane (I happen to be a veterinarian,).

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 08:41 PM
Bikevet
Stage III

Thanks for your response.