Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive ft. lowering kit (update)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Progressive ft. lowering kit (update)

I just put in the progressive 1.25' front lowering kit.I cut the spacers to 3/4' and added 5.5' of SE fork oil.Now the bike rides very stiff.I really f%@ked up the ride!
Anyone put the kit in there bike and can tell me what spacers you used,what oil used,what amount of oil used.
Do you think its the heavy SE oil?
the spacer is to long?
Added to much oil?
Thanks for your help
Mike
07 FLHTC

Old 06-28-2007, 12:23 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Progressive ft. lowering kit help Please!!!!!

The SE oil and the progressive springs are too much together. Use your recommended oil and see if that helps. If not, you can trim some off of the spacer to get the ride where you want it.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:59 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mike07FLHTC

I just put in the progressive 1.25' front lowering kit.I cut the spacers to 3/4' and added 5.5' of SE fork oil.Now the bike rides very stiff.I really f%@ked up the ride!
Anyone put the kit in there bike and can tell me what spacers you used,what oil used,what amount of oil used.
Do you think its the heavy SE oil?
the spacer is to long?
Added to much oil?
Thanks for your help
Mike
07 FLHTC
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but, did you use a fork spring compressing tool to remove the springs? I'm trying to avoid paying $300 for this specialty tool. Thanks for any help.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Mark98012
Tourer

Lowered the wife's 07 RK custom a couple of weeks ago. Don't know what year or model you have but it went smooth and works great. Used Burley kit (White Bros.), took out springs, dampener and rebound springs. Replaced damp. springs w /supplied springs, re-installed damp. and put in new (shorter) springs and cut spacer to get required pre-load. Buttoned everything up and put in the required fork oil (10.5 oz. from manual) and good to go. "IAMSWATIAMS", it takes 2 people without anything special. Cap upside down(w/ a wrench flat on a board), one guy holding the wrench and guiding and aligning the cap and another pushing the leg DOWN compressing the spring and turning upper leg. It goes right in. I actually did my '86 a few years back by myself but for the life of me I can't remember how (but I had no special tools).

MarkR

Old 06-28-2007, 06:34 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Mark98012

Lowered the wife's 07 RK custom a couple of weeks ago. Don't know what year or model you have but it went smooth and works great. Used Burley kit (White Bros.), took out springs, dampener and rebound springs. Replaced damp. springs w /supplied springs, re-installed damp. and put in new (shorter) springs and cut spacer to get required pre-load. Buttoned everything up and put in the required fork oil (10.5 oz. from manual) and good to go. "IAMSWATIAMS", it takes 2 people without anything special. Cap upside down(w/ a wrench flat on a board), one guy holding the wrench and guiding and aligning the cap and another pushing the leg DOWN compressing the spring and turning upper leg. It goes right in. I actually did my '86 a few years back by myself but for the life of me I can't remember how (but I had no special tools).

MarkR
Mark, the RK has conventional forks, the batwings have damper cartridge style forks. A little different process.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:57 AM
rottnutz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to keeping trimming the spacer. When I talked with tech support, they recommended the stock levels and viscosity. The key to smoothing out the riding is adjusting the preload. I'd trim some with the bench grinder, smooth the edges install the cap and test it by putting a towel on the floor, placing the tube on it and pushing down on it. When it was where I wanted it, I re-installed on the bike.. Worked great.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Default RE: Progressive ft. lowering kit (update)

Thanks for the replies.
I thought I'd update .I see a lot of people have read the post.So for those interested here goes.

I took the forks apart again.Cut the spacer to 1/2',mixed 8oz.of type E with 4oz. of SE heavy oil,and added 5.59' of oil as per the book.Ride is just what I was looking for.Nice lower ride, don't have the nose dive and ithandles better.Didn't need any special tool to do it.Goes a lot faster the second time around.
Mike

Old 07-13-2007, 11:44 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Progressive ft. lowering kit (update)

I changed my sliders to chrome, didn't lower the front, and I used the SE fork oil. Stiffened it up nicely so it doesn't "dive" anymore. Handles alot better on the twisties too.And the chrome slider looks nice. I think the bike goes faster too.