Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road king Sundowner seat...any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 09:26 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,184 Likes on 1,825 Posts

I just put on a Sundowner on my ‘18 RGU and it’s better than stock, but I still prefer a Mustang seat. The Mustang, IMO, is much more comfortable than the sundowner.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Jonny Rotten
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 69 Posts

I picked it up. Seems to fit me better than the stock. I little more cushy and a bit wider. Time will tell but I feel confident it will work out

Old 08-02-2018, 05:43 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,173 Likes on 4,386 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny Rotten
I picked it up. Seems to fit me better than the stock. I little more cushy and a bit wider. Time will tell but I feel confident it will work out

Obviously, eveyone needs/wants something different in a seat.... I would be interested in your opinion on the sundowner after you get some miles on it...

I was looking for that Ultimate (adjective, not noun) seat for my '16 Ultra Classic. I had done several seats, including MCC mods, on my '12 Limited... but really wanted the most incredible seat I could find. My research suggested I was going to be paying close to $1K to make that happen...

While trying to decide which seat to get, I HAD to get rid of the OEM seat. I bought the bike used, and someone had put a "low" seat on it and it was painful! I picked up a Sundowner cheap from eBay for my bike. It was to be a temporary fix for that painful "low" seat until I made up my mind.....

It's still on my bike and the search for the perfect seat has been reduced in priority. I found the Sundowner to be a very pleasant, and inexpensive, surprise.....!

Old 08-02-2018, 06:20 PM
Jonny Rotten
Tourer

Originally Posted by hattitude
Obviously, eveyone needs/wants something different in a seat.... I would be interested in your opinion on the sundowner after you get some miles on it...

I was looking for that Ultimate (adjective, not noun) seat for my '16 Ultra Classic. I had done several seats, including MCC mods, on my '12 Limited... but really wanted the most incredible seat I could find. My research suggested I was going to be paying close to $1K to make that happen...

While trying to decide which seat to get, I HAD to get rid of the OEM seat. I bought the bike used, and someone had put a "low" seat on it and it was painful! I picked up a Sundowner cheap from eBay for my bike. It was to be a temporary fix for that painful "low" seat until I made up my mind.....

It's still on my bike and the search for the perfect seat has been reduced in priority. I found the Sundowner to be a very pleasant, and inexpensive, surprise.....!
Good to know. I'll be putting a few 4 to 6 hour runs on it this week. Will post back

Old 08-02-2018, 06:26 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I've had one on my '09 Road King for several years. It is a dramatic improvement over stock (as you have learned). It is not quite up to the level of the Road Zeppelin for comfort -- especially on long rides -- but it is much less expensive.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Jonny Rotten
Tourer

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
I've had one on my '09 Road King for several years. It is a dramatic improvement over stock (as you have learned). It is not quite up to the level of the Road Zeppelin for comfort -- especially on long rides -- but it is much less expensive.
I was kinda wondering why this seat is so much cheaper than other seats. Including other HD seats. Any ideas?

Old 08-02-2018, 06:49 PM
nb472
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I've used a Sundowner on my RKC, RGS and now my RGU. I like em. Get a Airhawk, makes a huge difference on any seat.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:13 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny Rotten
alright I think I'll pull the trigger on it. For $200 it leaves me room to buy a solo seat for around town riding
A sundowner is my goto long distance saddle.

I also use a brawler solo.

You need to have a mustang fender bib and adhere felt on the bottom of all three if you want your paint to survive.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:56 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

I have a 2008 Road King Classic. The factory saddle was fine for ME but the narrow passenger pad was painful for my wife, like sitting on the narrow side of a 2 X 4 for hours on end. At the dealer's recommendation, we got a Sundowner. For all practical purposes, there was no change for me, just like the factory seat, but the passenger pad was a great improvement for my wife. Even so, by the end of 3 to 3 !/2 hours (time for gas) we were both ready for a break. Have never had a seat that I didn't get hot spots after about 2 1/2 hours, the Sundowner was no exception, but the wife could now last that long also. As far as the price, the Sundowner is a very plain seat, no tooling on the leather, no added on decorations, all contributing to a lower price.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:01 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

I had the crappy stock seat on my 05 RK Custom, basically the same as a streetglide seat.
Hated that thing! Picked up a Sundowner, and all is well. I use an Alaska leathers sheepskin on it and on
my Mustang backrest too. Use it when riding double, normally I use a Corbin heated solo..
Hard to say which one is better, they are totally different seats.

Quick Reply: Road king Sundowner seat...any good?