Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 PM
valleyrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank Removal

I have a 07 FLHTC and need to run some wires(CB antenna, etc) from the the front of the bike to the rear. I need to remove or raise the tank in order to run the wires under it along the frame.

Any advice? Can I just unbolt the tank and raise it enough without disconnecting everything??

Thanks in advance....

Old 06-27-2007, 10:45 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Tank Removal

yes you can just unbolt the tank and raise it a little. The fuel petcock is a quick disconnect, grab the large outer coller and pull the line straight out, it will NOT leak. Taking the tank completely off is no big deal only dealing with the crossover tube and the fuel you have in the tank but can be done in about 5 minutes or less.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: valleyrider

Any advice?
Spend $68 for a service manual. Tank lift is no big deal. Tank removal? I'd get the manual first.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain

Be sure to remove the fuel line from the petcock that Boardgaurd described. I did not on my 07 and the cheap plastic broke in it and.....$48 later I had to buy a new one. You can not really take the fuel line off per say w/o clamping the front fuel line (at least on an 07 Heritage).

It really does only take a few minutes.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If your '07 is like my friend's '06, just lifting the tank may not work since the wires run inside a plastic tunnel below the tank; that was a difference I noticed from his bike compared to my '04 EG--don't know if the plastic tunnel makes it easier or harder. My friend installed the HD CB andrear speakers on his '06 EG Classic and removed the tank.

If you're spending $500 or so to mount the J&M CB, or close to a $1,000 for the HD kit with the overlay harness, rear speakers, etc., $48 for the HD service manual will be money well spent, IMHO.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:56 PM
valleyrider
Cruiser

I took everyone's advice and bought a service manual. Great advice by the way, thanks.

Upon reading the manual on complete tank removal it states to remove the Console/Canopy. This seems like quite a task and calls for new parts upon reinstallation. Is it necessay to remove the console/canopy???

No one has mentioned this before.

thanks in advance..........

Old 06-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats on buying the SM. Removing the console is easy and necessary since there is a vent tube attached to the gas filler neck that runs under the console and past the rear of the tank. Also, the new parts are the clamps and hose for the crossover at the front of the gas tank. I used that as an excuse to buy the staniless crossover hose. IIRC.

The sloppiest part of my first tank removal wasdraining gasoline from the tank per the SM instructions--would have been better to first syphon the tank. For some reason (that I have yet to figure out), there was gas left in the tank after the crossover was cut and gas draining from there collected in a gas can. I did the draining outside the garage to avoid fumes in the garage or spilling gas there, but when I moved the bike into the garage I got gas draining again from the fittings.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have found this to work fairly well for tank removal. Take a pair of very small vice grips and clamp the crossover hose near the left side tank fitting. Get about a 6 inch piece of 5/16 hose and clamp it shut on one end with a hose clamp anda bolt that has a non threaded shoulder. This is the tricky part. Put a catch can under the right fitting, and loosen the clamp. With one hand remove the nose from the tank, with the other, put your finger over the fitting, you will only lose a quick splash. The get the clamped hose, remove your finger and slip the clamped hose on the fitting, again only a small spash of gas lost. I have not figured out a better way and have had the tank off the bike numerous times this year.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:38 PM
DrLove907
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: HDChloe

Be sure to remove the fuel line from the petcock that Boardgaurd described. I did not on my 07 and the cheap plastic broke in it and.....$48 later I had to buy a new one. You can not really take the fuel line off per say w/o clamping the front fuel line (at least on an 07 Heritage).

It really does only take a few minutes.
Same thing happened to me, was backordered, had to wait 3 days for the part. That piece of crap is not worth $48!!

Old 07-01-2007, 09:50 PM
valleyrider
Cruiser

Getting ready for complete tank removal and I think I have everthing cased. I was confused reading the manual, I thought I had to remove the tank canopy too. But after reading the SM again I see I have just to remove the console cover.

Only confusing thing remaining is the crossover tube clamps. Can they be loosened??? removed???

I see in the SM it states to cut them off and install new ones with the HD Hose Clamp Pliers. Is this the only way???? Will ordinary clamps work?

Quick Reply: Tank Removal