Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Soon? Considering Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 06:34 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,620 Likes on 2,384 Posts
Default Too Soon? Considering Stage 1

Hey everyone. So loving the 18 Road Glide Ultra. No real complaints of consequence.

With that said, I find the exhaust note to be lacking. So thinking about getting Stage 1 and having the dealer do it when I'm gone on vacation in a few weeks (want to preserve my warranty).

I'm a fairly newbie rider. Just passed my 1000 mile recently, and feel pretty confident on the bike and having a complete blast. I'm to the point where I'm taking it on short rides for errands and such, and have a done a few multi-hour rides. Parking lots and slow speed stuff is fine, but I'm no expert and still a little wobbly at times at slow speed (though I don't drop the bike…anymore lol).

So the question - will Stage 1 add too much torque for a relatively new rider? HD advertises the gains as up to 10%, but I don't really have a point of reference. I don't want to get on it and at stop lights I'm getting whiplash like I'm in a Apollo space vehicle and launch. If the difference is fairly minor, I'll probably put the wheels in motion to get it done.

Just wanted some second opinions as the dealer will almost definitely suggest it regardless. The power on the bike is fine for me now (haven't done any 2 up riding yet), but the Stage 1 is appealing for the sound and minor cosmetic upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:38 PM
dave grider
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Go for it will make you smile

Old 07-30-2018, 06:38 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

You will be smiling too much to worry about the 10% increase! What I would recommend is that you continue practicing with the bike, especially in the areas you are having challanges. You may want to consider the Ride Like A Pro video series? They can be previewed on YouTube and then you can do a digital download if it interests you?

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2018, 06:44 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

You probably wont notice any seat of the pants difference unless you are very in tune with how your bike runs. It should run a little cleaner, sound better and run a little better overall but its not a big deal.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:02 PM
scott7d
Road Captain
Received 935 Likes on 287 Posts

A stage 1, especially from a dealer, will not be so much of a difference where you'll get bucked off. To keep your warranty and be EPA compliant, they will likely do an ECM flash and not a full dyno tune. A dyno tune would yield the full potential of the parts.

The first thing I'd do once the warranty was up, is get it tuned even if you don't go stage 1. You'll have more power and a cooler running bike.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:07 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,620 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:12 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by scott7d
A stage 1, especially from a dealer, will not be so much of a difference where you'll get bucked off. To keep your warranty and be EPA compliant, they will likely do an ECM flash and not a full dyno tune. A dyno tune would yield the full potential of the parts.

The first thing I'd do once the warranty was up, is get it tuned even if you don't go stage 1. You'll have more power and a cooler running bike.
you can absolutely get a dyno tune with HD warranty compliant parts. No it will not yield as much gain as with an aftermarket tuner but there have some pretty happy campers with all HD including tuner with a dyno tune.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:30 PM
Mertoid
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

No such thing as too soon. You'll only be wishing you'd done it sooner.
I'm serious.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:47 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Doing a stage 1 with exhaust and intake will not be like an Apollo launch but will help the bike get moving a little quicker especially with a passenger on board. The dealer will reflash the ECM to bring the ECM back to EPA requirements. When asked about dyno tuning at the dealer first thing out of the service advisor's mouth was "well, we have to remove the o2 sensors plug them up, blah, blah, blah". I said never mind and put a FP3 Tuner on after I was out of factory warranty, just in case, the FP works for what I want. An out of warranty tune will remove some of the heat issues

Old 07-30-2018, 08:22 PM
scott7d
Road Captain
Received 935 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear

you can absolutely get a dyno tune with HD warranty compliant parts. No it will not yield as much gain as with an aftermarket tuner but there have some pretty happy campers with all HD including tuner with a dyno tune.
If they are going to "tune it"....Or lack there of, and have it still be EPA compliant, I'd rather save the time and just do a flash. The placebo effect seems to be stronger the more money one tends to spend.

Quick Reply: Too Soon? Considering Stage 1