Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air cleaners for Ultras

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:21 AM
RoyB
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Air cleaners for Ultras

What's everyone running for air cleaners and does it make a difference between styles? The Ultra seems to block of the wind going directly into the intake. I have a DK Custom on my '10 Soft tail with the big long K&N filter, but I don't think the same model will fit with the lower fairings? Their M8 elbow looks pretty puny compared to their twin cam model too. Does a cone filter + elbow vs flat filter provide any more power between them?

The screamin eagle has a stubby model that says it will fit and looks pretty good.

or just something traditional

Old 07-30-2018, 11:13 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

I think you're over-thinking it. Unless you're having some significant motor work done, any of the above will work fine. In fact, your stock intake will work fine. Or the SE filter kit will also work fine.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:53 AM
HD32141
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got caught in a cloud burst Saturday. 5 miles on a country road and no where to take cover. I had 3" of water in my boots. I don't see how it would be possible for an open filter to keep all that water out.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:20 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I run the Stage 1 K&N filter behind the stock football cover and it works fine. Not everyone does but I like the look of the football cover. To each his own.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:24 PM
Settertude
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm looking at a change for the 2017 Ul as well because I want to see more of the motor.
I like the V&H, but there seem to be a bunch available.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:26 PM
Settertude
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by HD32141
I got caught in a cloud burst Saturday. 5 miles on a country road and no where to take cover. I had 3" of water in my boots. I don't see how it would be possible for an open filter to keep all that water out.
They make socks for some of them. If it starts raining, I would just pull over and put it on--but ya--I hear ya.
I know guys that have open units that say it hasn't been an issue on Ultras.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:54 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,124 Likes on 4,362 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I run the Stage 1 K&N filter behind the stock football cover and it works fine. Not everyone does but I like the look of the football cover. To each his own.

Ditto...

I run the SE washable filter, behind a football cover. I have that set-up on 3 twin cams: a Stage I, Stage II, & Stage III... no tuning/airflow issues...

I actually like the way the football cover looks, but I admit I put the Screamin' Eagle trim ring on them for a little color.... They hide most of the external breather lines on all 3 of my bikes, and the ugly throttle-by-wire plug on my newest bike...

Old 07-30-2018, 01:05 PM
RoyB
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
I think you're over-thinking it. Unless you're having some significant motor work done, any of the above will work fine. In fact, your stock intake will work fine. Or the SE filter kit will also work fine.
I put headers on this weekend and it's running way too rich with the stock intake because the header tune automatically puts in an intake too. I was hoping I could get by with the stock intake but apparently not.

Originally Posted by HD32141
I have a sock as mentioned below for my open element for my Fatboy. I don't ride in the rain intentionally. The cone filters look pretty sick imo. Just wasn't sure if there was a difference between different styles.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:20 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

A little water will never hurt your engine, in fact, they add it to it in some engines.
Your air filter is just fine and will cause no restrictions unless you pass the 6000 RPM mark.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:24 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyB
I put headers on this weekend and it's running way too rich with the stock intake because the header tune automatically puts in an intake too. I was hoping I could get by with the stock intake but apparently not.
That's not a problem with intake; it's a problem with your tune. Call Fuel Moto (if you bought from there) and tell them what you've got. And if you want to change the intake, then by all means, do it! But neither will give you a performance advantage over the other, so buy the one that makes you smile a little more when you look at it.

Full disclosure: I have the SE "Stage 1" on my bike. I like the stock cover look, and I too thought I needed the "extra intake". In hindsight, I think it is absolutely unnecessary, but meh... it sounds cool!

Quick Reply: Air cleaners for Ultras