Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 12:52 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Mental security.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:19 PM
aaa1988
Road Master
Received 579 Likes on 294 Posts

I use this one. I also throw a few zip ties in there as well. It has everything you will ever need

https://store.snapon.com/Service-Set...t-P641504.aspx

The following users liked this post:
SPR (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 02:30 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 449 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by aaa1988
I use this one. I also throw a few zip ties in there as well. It has everything you will ever need

https://store.snapon.com/Service-Set...t-P641504.aspx
For $348 I'd hope it would do the work for you also.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:32 PM
teal379
Tourer
Received 171 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks all, I like the idea of that Cruz kit. Will likely go with that.
Bikes are a lot more reliable these days but the kit might help someone else too so that's also why I'd like to have one.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:56 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 551 Likes on 321 Posts

My toolkit consists of tools that I know I would use for emergency roadside repair, which ends up being the basic screwdrivers, allens, couple of box ends, and some misc stuff like zip ties, bailing wire. I have my tools in a ziploc bag, along with a couple pairs of nitrile gloves; takes up a pretty small amount of space in the bag. You might be surprised with the kind of repairs you can do roadside with a basic tool kit.

It's a long story, but I have R/R adjustable pushrods on the side of the road, among other stuff. What I can't do is tire repairs (laced wheels), so I have roadside assistance for stuff like that.

I like the color on your RK, looks like a great bike. Have a blast out there.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:56 AM
y22c
Road Master
Received 163 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
I also should mention that I use these tool bags. They sit in the bottom of the bag and take up the unused space on either side of the support channel.
http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id226.html
+1

Ken

Old 08-01-2018, 11:43 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Thats a bit of a loaded question. How comfortable are you doing major road side repairs? You need to pack your bags for the jobs that you are comfortable performing without the manual (you'll never break down when you have cell service, there is a rule about that) and can reasonably expect to encounter. HD sells a tool roll. To that I added zip ties, utility wire, needle nose pliers, wire cutters, small first aid kit, and a variety of fuses. I also pack dyna plugs, standard size tire plugs, and a mini air compressor that runs off my battery tender port.

I also added a two pack of CR2032 batteries. A new battery in the key fob has saved plenty of stranded riders.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:35 PM
intrepidxc
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I personally wouldn't waste the money/space on the batteries (I know they are small). Instead, I keep a note that reminds me of my security code. That way if I lose my FOB or the battery dies I can simply start my bike using the code.

To each there own, but coming from a military background, every ounce I can remove from my ride is an ounce I don't have to carry.

Like many others, I carry a toolkit I got from HD years ago. I've added zip ties, wire, and pliers. I also carry a first aid kit with several gauze wraps, some Israeli bandages, quick clot, and tourniquets. When you need your first aid kit, it's going to be for a fairly traumatic event. I'd like to think I'm somewhat prepared. Always remember if your buddy goes down wearing a helmet or you come across a downed rider in a helmet, don't remove it. You'll likely cause an injury to the head/spine.

Heck, it is a little off topic, but I'd recommend everyone check out the changes in CPR. The CPR guidelines have been updated to two quick breaths for every 30 compressions or if you're unable to provide breaths compression only.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:38 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by penmaker
I've got those bags too and they hold a lot more than you'd think they do.
Same here. You'll be surprised what they can hold. Very clever product, using that wasted space at the bottom of the bags.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:13 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I made my toolbag up myself. Looked at what tools are listed on those toolkits you can buy and since I have lots of tools, made my own up.

And its come in handy more than once.

Quick Reply: Tool kit?