Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble installing new security system on '15 FLHR

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 04:43 PM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trouble installing new security system on '15 FLHR

So I just bought a '15 FLHR that did not have the security system installed. I bought a brand new one off of a dealership on Ebay. I installed the physical module and antenna, took 5 minutes. My problem is that now my bike won't stay running. It will start but immediately stalls. I followed the directions as per the TSM/TSSM ECM Password Learn Procedure, twice, but no change. The ones I found on the net are slightly different from the ones in the book, which I also tried. The steps I tried are located at https://www.justanswer.com/motorcycle/6zolf-when-installing-harley-security-system-ultra-classic.html.
A couple of things. On step 3 in the book, when I hit the right turn signal, after toggling the left turn signal 2x, it should display the current code but nothing is displayed other than the mileage. So basically as for the book directions, I can't proceed because this is where I would set my pin. Also, I assume that the red light just to the right of the speedometer needle is the security lamp. There is no key lamp as there is on my DWG so just guessing here.

I know I need to take the bike and fobs to the dealership to have them mated but figured I would be able to ride there. Am I doing something wrong, do I have a bad unit or is this part of the mating process the dealer has to do?

Old 07-26-2018, 07:59 PM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I just went thru this on my 05 FLH but as you know the procedure is different from your bike to mine. I did not have to use the right turn signal button at all. I follow the procedure even using my cell phones stopwatch app and first time she took. Is this the procedure that you used?
http://www.harley-performance.com/password-learn.html

Old 07-27-2018, 07:04 AM
jb1023
Road Captain

Originally Posted by No Tyme
I just went thru this on my 05 FLH but as you know the procedure is different from your bike to mine. I did not have to use the right turn signal button at all. I follow the procedure even using my cell phones stopwatch app and first time she took. Is this the procedure that you used?
http://www.harley-performance.com/password-learn.html
This is the procedure I found and used off the net. I tried it 2 times, once waiting the minimum of 10 seconds if the lights went out and once waiting 10 minutes regardless. The one in the book is the one that uses the right signal, which did not work either but I think it was just for resetting a password for an already installed TSSM. I have an apt with the dealer today to have my bike flashed. I'm guessing this procedure only works on pre '14 bikes. Hoping so anyway, otherwise I'm about to throw $62 away for the flash job. I put the old TSM back in so I can ride down to the dealer and will then swap in the new TSSM and then check in with service.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:27 AM
jb1023
Road Captain

So I had the dealer flash my ECM/TSSM yesterday and now everything is working great. I guess on the '14 up bikes the self programming steps mentioned previously no longer work. Now the dealer has to not only marry the fobs but also flash the module. Cost me $63.72 for the flash job and I paid $306 for the brand new unit so I figure I'm still ahead.