Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need need new windshield, recomendations please

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 10:06 PM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default need need new windshield, recomendations please

I need recommendation on a new windshield. I have a tall boy clear on now and the top edge is right in my line of sight. Thinking 10" height would do. Been trying to deal with Long Ride Shields but they have gotten too big for their own good. Never answer the phone so why bother having a customer service number.
I am thinking a tinted 10" recurve.
Like to hear your experiences and brands.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:15 PM
GLW Mike
Club Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have tried several past 2 years (Harley, Klockwerks, LRS and now Freedom shield)
My latest and the one i like best is a Freedom Shield recurve. 13" Med Tint. Works great, no distortion, thick and rigid. I like the new medium tint vesus the light tint.
Best shield i used yet.
I have an 11" Long Ride Shield, but its thinner and has distortion. After putting the Freedom shield on, i wont go back.

Last edited by GLW Mike; 07-24-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:33 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Brought my '18 SGS home from dealer with 7" wind splitter because it's HD, and it looks cool. It does work, but still getting a face full of wind, especially top half of head. Not too bad, but... worth trying something else, So I ordered a Klock Werks 6-1/2" Dark Smoke Flare Windshield 2310-0474 because it's the same cool shape and was recommended on these forums quite a bit. I installed it today. First impression was it seemed a bit thin, but ok, and went on easily. Interestingly, it says 6-1/2", but sits up several inches higher than the 7" wind splitter. I thought that was perfect. Went out for a 10 mile highway blast. It blocked wind not that much better than wind splitter. Just a little bit better that I could notice, but it seemed to make the fairing shake a bit. I couldn't tell if it was the shield or the fairing, but it seemed slightly less stable at high speed. Also, it didn't make the radio seem any louder or clearer at highway speed. So considering the flimsier feel, taller, less attractive stance, and no discernible difference in wind dispersing, I decided to return it. I'll keep reading and try to find something else to try.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:49 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm on my 3rd Freedom Shields, 2 previous bikes and now my new one. John is top-notch and so is the product. Give them a call, IMO best shield on the market.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:04 PM
Nitrochicken
Road Master
Received 153 Likes on 87 Posts

LRS 8” Flat Top. Different look but performs flawlessly. Great for solo or 2-up.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Cool

You could simply remove your current shield and carefully trim it down an inch or so, to see if that improves things. I did that myself some years ago. If you like the results it doesn't take much more effort to finish the sawn edge to provide that custom look and finish!

Old 07-25-2018, 05:28 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,242 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by No Tyme
I need recommendation on a new windshield. I have a tall boy clear on now and the top edge is right in my line of sight. Thinking 10" height would do. Been trying to deal with Long Ride Shields but they have gotten too big for their own good. Never answer the phone so why bother having a customer service number.
I am thinking a tinted 10" recurve.
Like to hear your experiences and brands.
First of all, there are a multitude of windshield threads on these forums. Searching with the site search feature or using Google will yield hundreds of hits. Secondly, what works for me or other riders may not work for you. We all sit differently in the saddle, especially from initially getting on the bike to miles down the road where riding position changes. Thirdly, LRS may not have the best customer service, but they do provide written and video instructions on how to measure for their shields.

Go here - https://longrideshields.com/pages/support

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2018, 09:04 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,298 Likes on 6,041 Posts

i have cut down shields before.... pretty simple.... tape off upper edge and draw the profile you like. Coping saw and slow easy strokes will remove the excess material. Then file the edge smooth, then a block sander, and then wipe down with acetone or solvent. When you're done, unless you had a major malfunction, no one should ever know the difference but you. If you want to lower it, you can try this first. Then spend the money on what you'd like.

The following users liked this post:
grbrown (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 09:31 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

I am with you on LRS. Been waiting on them for almost a year to come out with a shorter Road Glide shield than 10 inches. They told me earlier this year they thought by mid year they should have a new tool but never happened. I ended up going with Memphis Shades. Nice shield.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:33 AM
xxzeus-34xx
Advanced
Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

My Favorite is Freedom Shields Recurve

Quick Reply: need need new windshield, recomendations please