Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need need new windshield, recomendations please

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 11:28 AM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain
Veteran: Navy
Received 242 Likes on 176 Posts

Wow - I have never “not” reached LRS folks on the phone - Mark if I recall correctly....

LRS and Freedom are the ones I would go with - I have had 3 LRS shields and I love them

Old 07-25-2018, 11:51 AM
rnl_1200C
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by H92064
Wow - I have never “not” reached LRS folks on the phone - Mark if I recall correctly....

LRS and Freedom are the ones I would go with - I have had 3 LRS shields and I love them
Bought an LRS shield with the expected 7-9 days delivery, which was posted on their site. After 10 days, called them several times - no answer. Emailed them and they responded that shipping would be an additional 14-18 days. Cancelled the order. Never again.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:07 PM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain
Veteran: Navy
Received 242 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl_1200C
Bought an LRS shield with the expected 7-9 days delivery, which was posted on their site. After 10 days, called them several times - no answer. Emailed them and they responded that shipping would be an additional 14-18 days. Cancelled the order. Never again.
That certainly blows, and I see your frustration. Bummer...

Old 07-26-2018, 08:39 PM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I call LRS again and this time hit option for sales. In less than 7 minutes I got connected.
It seems that I was under the assumption that they sent me the wrong shield, but I was told that both orders I placed this year were for 9" Ultra flairs. I thought I went from 8" to 9" but I was incorrect. So I placed another order for a 10" which I think may work for me. I feel best looking over the top of the shield instead of thru it. My tall boy obstructs my vision, at least for me. That top edge distorts my view so after the 10" gets here I will place the 9" and tall boy up for sale.
I had this same problem with my 06 FLH. It took a couple of try's to get the correct height... I just couldn't remember the height that worked for me.

Thanks all for your recommendations. If this 10" don't work out, I will try a Freedom Shield.

FYI: My 9" LRS already shows scuff marks from the Harley OEM 3 bag windshield pouch. BUMMER
Now I need to find a fix so I don't mar up the new one coming.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:40 PM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 2,020 Posts

Never had a problem buying from LRS, but I haven’t dealt with them for a couple years either. A re-curve is the cats ***, whatever brand you buy.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 2,020 Posts

Originally Posted by No Tyme
I call LRS again and this time hit option for sales. In less than 7 minutes I got connected.
It seems that I was under the assumption that they sent me the wrong shield, but I was told that both orders I placed this year were for 9" Ultra flairs. I thought I went from 8" to 9" but I was incorrect. So I placed another order for a 10" which I think may work for me. I feel best looking over the top of the shield instead of thru it. My tall boy obstructs my vision, at least for me. That top edge distorts my view so after the 10" gets here I will place the 9" and tall boy up for sale.
I had this same problem with my 06 FLH. It took a couple of try's to get the correct height... I just couldn't remember the height that worked for me.

Thanks all for your recommendations. If this 10" don't work out, I will try a Freedom Shield.

FYI: My 9" LRS already shows scuff marks from the Harley OEM 3 bag windshield pouch. BUMMER
i covered the back side of my dash bag with black felt, for just that reason. Looks much better from the front too.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:53 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Originally Posted by No Tyme

Frankly, I'm confused. Maybe the aerodynamics of your bike is vastly different then my '12 Ultra; however, with LRS "recurve", I was able to go down 2" from stock and raise the wind-flow roughly 4". From my forehead [stock] to 2-3" over my head [recurve].

Old 07-27-2018, 03:16 PM
LACOUNTRYHICK
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Iron Man
Brought my '18 SGS home from dealer with 7" wind splitter because it's HD, and it looks cool. It does work, but still getting a face full of wind, especially top half of head. Not too bad, but... worth trying something else, So I ordered a Klock Werks 6-1/2" Dark Smoke Flare Windshield 2310-0474 because it's the same cool shape and was recommended on these forums quite a bit. I installed it today. First impression was it seemed a bit thin, but ok, and went on easily. Interestingly, it says 6-1/2", but sits up several inches higher than the 7" wind splitter. I thought that was perfect. Went out for a 10 mile highway blast. It blocked wind not that much better than wind splitter. Just a little bit better that I could notice, but it seemed to make the fairing shake a bit. I couldn't tell if it was the shield or the fairing, but it seemed slightly less stable at high speed. Also, it didn't make the radio seem any louder or clearer at highway speed. So considering the flimsier feel, taller, less attractive stance, and no discernible difference in wind dispersing, I decided to return it. I'll keep reading and try to find something else to try.
Got any pics of the Klockwerks shield on your bike?

Old 07-27-2018, 06:05 PM
jerryleejr
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

I just got my 10” flattop from LRS moved up from a 9” I’d be happy to send you mine to try..

JJ

Old 07-28-2018, 11:27 AM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryleejr
I just got my 10” flattop from LRS moved up from a 9” I’d be happy to send you mine to try..

JJ
Actually what I have are both 9". Thought my first order was an 8", but was told I was wrong. Maybe the 3rd time is the charm... 10" recurve is on order.
ALSO, have not received any email notifications on reply's to this post. Strange

Quick Reply: need need new windshield, recomendations please