Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3500 mile trip. Coolant pump failed 1000 miles in.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 3500 mile trip. Coolant pump failed 1000 miles in.

Harley Davidson builds one tough bike. My cooling system on my 2015 Ultra Limited failed 1000 miles into our round trip ride from Dallas Georgia to Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. Either the thermostat or the pump failed. All I know right now is no coolant was flowing through the engine.

Stopped at a Harley dealer in Colorado Springs. Waited 3 hours and they still had not got to my bike yet. They told me I absolutely could not ride with a failed cooling system. I said screw it and rode on. 2500 miles later and still no ill effects other than the bike ran a little hotter than normal. Performance over 12000 ft. mountain peaks and 103 degree temps was normal other than at every stop the ECMS would shut down a cylinder.

Thinking about now having all the “twin cooled” heads removed, replacing with regular heads and an oil cooler. Anyone removed the coolant crap?

I’ll bet no other motorcycle built today could continue to run for 2500 miles with a failed cooling pump or thermostat.

Last edited by Sailrider 1; 07-22-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:33 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
Harley Davidson builds one tough bike. My cooling system on my 2015 Ultra Limited failed 1000 miles into our round trip ride from Dallas Georgia to Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. Either the thermostat or the pump failed. All I know right now is no coolant was flowing through the engine.

Stopped at a Harley dealer in Colorado Springs. Waited 3 hours and they still had not got to my bike yet. They told me I absolutely could not ride with a failed cooling system. I said screw it and rode on. 2500 miles later and still no ill effects other than the bike ran a little hotter than normal. Performance over 12000 ft. mountain peaks and 103 degree temps was normal other than at every stop the ECMS would shut down a cylinder.

Thinking about now having all the “twin cooled” heads removed, replacing with regular heads and an oil cooler. Anyone removed the coolant crap?

I’ll bet no other motorcycle built today could continue to run for 2500 miles with a failed cooling pump or thermostat.
Cooling the exhaust valve was a great idea,the bad is they made it with cheap parts.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:39 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

Someone on here actually found the problem, appears to be an electrical connection on in the pump body. I would imagine after so many warranty issues they have identified the problem and gone back to the supplier. Just takes time to get the pump out in the supply system. I had read somewhere there is a new updated part number. Thats awesome you rode it with no pump and no issues. After two pumps I have considered doing the same thing, but since they have replace both under warranty I will keep letting them do it until it costs me money.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:27 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

The water cooling system is in addition to the air and oil cooling that every Harley has always had. Without the water in it, it is just like my non water cooled bike. But there are benefits to it when it works. I would get it fixed.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:45 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Originally Posted by cncmike
The water cooling system is in addition to the air and oil cooling that every Harley has always had. Without the water in it, it is just like my non water cooled bike. But there are benefits to it when it works. I would get it fixed.
My wet head '14 Limited definitely does not have an oil cooler.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:56 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,262 Likes on 1,578 Posts

$469.00 to get that piece of crap part.

If you can wrench at all, it takes less then an hour(and one hose clAmp) to change. The dealer wanted 4 hours of labor for diagnostics, the 3 more for install- nope.

Very few dealers around me had one, and its a 7-10 day order time.

Total piece of junk water pump.

How do I know? Changed mine Saturday.

Here is a diagnostic shortcut. Ignition on-engine off. Rotate throttle to 1/2 or more. Fan1 comes on, fan 2 comes on, the water pump comes on. You can remove the shroud, and put your hand on the water pump, and feel it running. (Or not)

Old 07-23-2018, 06:07 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller
$469.00 to get that piece of crap part.

If you can wrench at all, it takes less then an hour(and one hose clAmp) to change. The dealer wanted 4 hours of labor for diagnostics, the 3 more for install- nope.

Very few dealers around me had one, and its a 7-10 day order time.

Total piece of junk water pump.

How do I know? Changed mine Saturday.

Here is a diagnostic shortcut. Ignition on-engine off. Rotate throttle to 1/2 or more. Fan1 comes on, fan 2 comes on, the water pump comes on. You can remove the shroud, and put your hand on the water pump, and feel it running. (Or not)
Take it apart. It might be repairable. See this thread - https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...s-of-pics.html

The following users liked this post:
Vernal (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 06:12 AM
gja
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

Friend of mine, goes by BostonMike on here, went the no water route. He just got his bike back after the conversion. Maybe he’ll chime in.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:59 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Harley has stated over and over that the engine is air cooled and will run fine without the liquid cooling. It’s not amazing or magical.

now my old Datsun 510 that went several hundred miles without a fan belt and therefore no water pump, that was pretty remarkable.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:50 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
My wet head '14 Limited definitely does not have an oil cooler.
I believe he meant that the circulating oil helps cool the engine. It does that oil cooler or not. An oil cooler just increases that cooling effect. Harleys came without oil cooler for years. I think they only started adding them because so many owners added them aftermarket.

The following users liked this post:
cncmike (07-23-2018)

Quick Reply: 3500 mile trip. Coolant pump failed 1000 miles in.