Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT or Other??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SERT or Other??

Excuse me, I need enlightingment!!!Im new to the whole performance thing; can anyone explain what is the SERT, PCIII, TMAT, DTT is really doing for your performance. And what is the better choice

Old 06-27-2007, 10:45 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

PC3's not bad at all for the money A hundred plusless than a SERT.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:53 PM
harleyflo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much just the sert?

Old 06-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Wags1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Q Hog

Excuse me, I need enlightingment!!!Im new to the whole performance thing; can anyone explain what is the SERT, PCIII, TMAT, DTT is really doing for your performance. And what is the better choice
This has been answered many times (search is your friend)...here is a copy of something I wrote a few days ago that does explian some of it -

Personally I do not favor "piggy back" tuning solutions like the Power Commander. I think you are better off with something like a SERT or Thundermax with Autotune.

The reason things like PC and V&H Fuelpac are considered "piggyback" solutions is that an additional piece of hardware (a module) is installed on the bike and must remain installed. It is literally "piggy backed" onto the existing ECM module, hence the term.
The SERT is actually software, a "dongle", and cables that allow you to communicate to your existing ECM module. You use the software on a computer to change the actual map (to be accurate it is called a calibration file) that the ECM runs. Once you have the map setup the way you want it you use the dongle and cables to connect your computer to the ECM and download the map file to the ECM. That map file totally replaces the existing map file that is used to run the ECM. You are actually reprogramming your ECM. When you are done you remove the dongle and cables. Nothing extra remains on the bike. Hence it IS NOT a "piggy back" solution.

With the Thundermax with Autotune you actually replace the existing ECM with the Thundermax module, and you replace the existing narrow-band O2 sensors with wide-band O2 sensors. Again this IS NOT a "piggy back" solution rather it is a replacement solution.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

A true "auto-tune" system would automatically adjust both a/f AND timing AND prevent knock/detonation. Neither Thundermax nor DTT adjust timing automatically, nor do they prevent knock/detonation. Thundermax and DTT would more accurately be described as "auto fuel managment" systems.

This is not a criticism of either Thundermax or DTT; but let's be accurate about what those systems do, and what they don't do. The fact that a/f can be set and monitored with these systems actually makes them much easier to tune manually than anything else in the market except forDTT Twin Scan II+ users. But they don't tune themselves forignition timing or knock avoidance.

As for the suggestion that you can simply remove the Thundermax or DTT and reinstall your OEM ECM when you want the dealer to look at an engine problem, be prepared to also lie about why your pre-07 bagger has 02 bungs in the header pipes, or why the OEM ECM map has the bike running like crap with the aftermarket pipes, high flow a/c, etc. you installed so you could "auto tune" the bike without spending time on a dyno or learning how to tune the bike yourself using the SERT and its data mode.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:06 AM
XXXRacing
Road Warrior

SERT is $357 from zanotti's plus cables ($20 ish)