Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Cam Breather Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:33 PM
07_Dyna
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Twin Cam Breather Solution?

Just because the moco put it on there does not mean it stays on there. The stupid compensator hit the trash can a couple weeks ago. The breather is next!

I like the looks of this thing here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kuryakyn-9918-Crossroad-Breather-F-Twin-Cam-HD/261676417889?epid=171247635&hash=item3ced214361:g: cZ0AAOxy69JTAlEQ

Problem is, if I put that on the air cleaner will not work 'cause it uses the holes to which the air cleaner mounts.

Someone has been here before me, of course - determined that the MAP sensor he will buy will not be trashed with motor oil... So if you would be so kind, how can I do this? I don't want to spend any more than I have to.

There seems to be a little space beside the battery. I think I can put something there to catch the oil, if necessary.

Last edited by 07_Dyna; 07-08-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:38 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Search this site for "external breather"; tons of info.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:38 PM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

I just got in the mail an external breather kit from DK. My A/C cover uses the stock breather bolts, so I purchased the "discrete" version. Looking forward getting it installed ASAP.

They have several versions. http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/all-...ngines-c76.htm

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom - ST (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 09:38 PM
07_Dyna
Cruiser

After some research: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162956046430

These bolts will allow me to move the breather from inside the air cleaner to coming through the bolts All I need is some rubber hose, 2 90s, a T and a bottle to put beside the battery, which will catch any overflow.

My bike is an 09 - these bolts might not be the ones for your bike.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:39 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Be careful that whatever type of catch can that you use to catch any escaping oil that it's vented. Most just run the hose to the ground under the frame and don't bother with a catch can.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:31 PM
07_Dyna
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SBates08
Be careful that whatever type of catch can that you use to catch any escaping oil that it's vented. Most just run the hose to the ground under the frame and don't bother with a catch can.
THAT might be dangerous. At some point somebody might put 3 quarts f oil in it... and it would be all over the back tire!

Old 07-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,961 Likes on 4,035 Posts

Originally Posted by 07_Dyna
THAT might be dangerous. At some point somebody might put 3 quarts f oil in it... and it would be all over the back tire!
It's really a good idea to arrange the vent line so it points away from the rear tire.. Not to hard to do..

Old 07-10-2018, 05:46 PM
stroker87
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 07_Dyna
so i would hope any one doing this mod would have enough brains not to let it vent in front of the rear tire!

honestly id just do a catch can vented back to the engine, i have one on my z06 like that works well! venting to atmosphere im sure over time you would get a build up of muck on your bike and possibly the floor where you park it not to mention the smell it gives off

Last edited by stroker87; 07-10-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:49 PM
07_Dyna
Cruiser

Originally Posted by stroker87
so i would hope any one doing this mod would have enough brains not to let it vent in front of the rear tire!

honestly id just do a catch can vented back to the engine, i have one on my z06 like that works well! venting to atmosphere im sure over time you would get a build up of muck on your bike and possibly the floor where you park it not to mention the smell it gives off
There's no magic bullet here. It's what's important to you. In my mind, sludge all over the inside of my intake - screwing with all the sensors - then going on down to make nasty engine deposits that cause pinging and detonation are not an even trade for some clean air - not even close.

Somebody else might think differently. That's their right. As soon as I deprive them of the right to say / think as they please, I lose my own.

The following users liked this post:
Gozzie (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:56 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by stroker87

The amount of crap coming out the breathers is enough to leave some sludge in the intake / air filter. But it's way less crap than you'd see in the centerline of any given lane at a moderately traveled intersection. No reason not to err on the side of caution and vent to atmosphere off centerline of the bike, but I would not expect any issues if I had my discharge dead center in front of my rear tire. It's an occasional drop of milky oil/water.

Quick Reply: Twin Cam Breather Solution?