Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "Brother" down .

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 12:51 AM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts
Default RE: Another "Brother" down .

The thing I can not understand is when I am driving my truck or car I always see the guy on the bike how could you not see him your are looking right at him when you make a left hand turn. I think they can see the guy on the bike but can not judge the distance and because they can not wait a second more they pull out in front of you

Old 06-27-2007, 01:05 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar thing happened to me. I was wearing a helmet but the impact made it fly off (it was as if I wasn't wearing one, on the cop's report, he checked off "yes" where it asked if I was hearing a helmet) and I lost my right leg, above the knee.. The guy who nailed me was 77 years old, thankfully he had insurance and they paid MOST of my medical bills (almost $500,000.00). He said he didn't see me, and I didn't see him, either.

Every time I see two cars collide, I think, dang, I know they could see each other. I think people "look", but they don't "see".

Is it nothing more than a risk all bikers must assume, you tell me?

Now, I got me a fake leg and another Harley w/ a sidecar and I'M RIDING AGAIN! - ITS IN MY BLOOD!

Some folks think I don't have good sense to get back on a bike, but I've learned that if I have to explain it to them, they don't understand, so I don't try any more.

Hack

Old 06-27-2007, 01:09 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Had Mr. Holley been in a car at the time of the accident, would it have been attempted murder?

Just curious.

Rest in Peace sir.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:50 AM
DrLove907
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: btefft

Similar thing happened to me. I was wearing a helmet but the impact made it fly off (it was as if I wasn't wearing one, on the cop's report, he checked off "yes" where it asked if I was hearing a helmet) and I lost my right leg, above the knee.. The guy who nailed me was 77 years old, thankfully he had insurance and they paid MOST of my medical bills (almost $500,000.00). He said he didn't see me, and I didn't see him, either.

Every time I see two cars collide, I think, dang, I know they could see each other. I think people "look", but they don't "see".

Is it nothing more than a risk all bikers must assume, you tell me?

Now, I got me a fake leg and another Harley w/ a sidecar and I'M RIDING AGAIN! - ITS IN MY BLOOD!

Some folks think I don't have good sense to get back on a bike, but I've learned that if I have to explain it to them, they don't understand, so I don't try any more.

Hack
WOW!! What a story!! Glad to see you made it through and back riding again. Most people would have just given up dealing with what you went through.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:21 AM
dircha
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'd think it has got to at least be Vehicular Manslaughter.

Even if he looked and didn't see the bike, he has got to be criminally negligent. And don't forget it's also legal to ride a bicycle on the road. Just think if it had been a kid on a bicycle he had hit. Even harder to see, but no way would "I didn't see him" fly.

Why should it be any different that it's a 62 yearold biker? This was probably someone's grandfather he killed.

Now if the guy is a decent human being I can tell you he is absolutely very shook up about this, but someone died due to his negligent behavior, and there have to be consequences. I'm not saying put him in jail, but his license should be permanently revoked and his vehicle taken; no second chance; he didn't give the biker one.

And look, the car driver had his 2 young daughters in the car with him when he was driving like this.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:49 AM
07RoadGlide
Banned

Not trying to take up for anyone, nor am I chosing sides, but we (on this forum) are quick to pass judgement without knowing all of the circumstances. Take into effect things that may have been factors in this accident, before we give the car driver the electric chair. Weather conditions, visibility, speed of the biker, traffic in the area, etc. Without knowing all of these factors, we shouldn't pass judgement. I mean, who knows, hypothetically, the guy on the bike could have been doing 60 in a 40, or whatever. Just too many variables involved that we don't see by reading a newspaper article. Why do I say this? Well, when I was 20, I t-boned a silver-haired lady on my way to work. It was clearly my fault, but I swear, to this day, that I didn't see the lady. I was pulling left from a turn lane, on a very overcast morning (about 6 a.m.), the road was grey, the sky was grey, and unfortunately, this ladies car was...yep, grey! I hit her just behind the drivers side rear door. No one was hurt, but it was the only accident I had ever been involved with (while driving a car) and I can still remember everything about it to this day, and that was 17 years ago. The guy who caused this particular accident, unless he was drunk or high, probably remembers, and probably will remember, this accident for the rest of his life. Especially since it cost someonetheir life. I don't trust our justice system much, but hopefully the investigation will show who/what was at fault and the proper punshment will be executed. If our justice system doesn't do its job, then get out and vote!! After all, you/we put these jackasses in office. We are the only ones who can replace them. It's not just about MC rights, it's EVERYONE'S RIGHTS.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:39 AM
dlh62c
Advanced

07RoadGlide
Well said! I'll have to agree! You got to have that Rider Radar on full blast when you approach any intersection and start covering the controls. The goal is to shortedyour Reaction Distance: The distance traveled from the time you see a hazard towhen you actuallyapply the brakes.

Ride Safe/Ride Often/Ride Respectfully
daryl

Old 06-27-2007, 07:25 AM
B dog
Banned

The man was driving the speed limit and never had the chance to break. The road was a two lane and the guy just didn't look and pulled out there and got him. The man just woke up i guess and was groggy. Most every time I read about motorcycle accidents around here , you always here the same story. He wasn't wareing a helmet or I didn't see him or I think he was speeding. Every time and nothing is done. Nothing is going to change on the streets until WE make it change. Stricter laws and punishments. I live in a state where I can walk up to you and slap the hell out of you nnd I will spend the night in jail NO BOND and go through a load of classes and fincial responsibilities to the court. I can go out and kill a guy on a motorcycle and say I DIDNT SEE HIM and im off scott free. And people wonder why bikers are so aggressive to cagers. HELLO !

Old 06-27-2007, 08:16 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior

This summer, more than ever before, I have seen numerous motorist (kids and grandpas alike)blow right through stop signs, yield signs and red lights.

Cell phones, new drivers, tired drivers, too many passengers, kids, illegal drivers, illegal immigrant drivers, very old drivers, drugs, alcohol,medical conditions,etc....all contribute to this.

Personally, I think most of it is from cell phones. There should be a Federal law banning the use of cell phones of any kind while driving - "buckle up and shut off that cell or you'llend up in a cell" should be the expression.

They are everywhere- morning, noon and night - they drive by your house everyday - they are THE PUBLIC.

You have to ride assuming you are NOT seen by anyone, like you are invisible.

My advice: get an AIR HORN and USE IT too.

Good Luck.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is all about education and awareness. Get active with your local A.B.A.T.E. and you can make a difference.

Here is a story I tell about the awareness topic. I have been riding for over 30 years. Like most of you experienced riders, I spot a motorcycle a mile away, regardless of type, lights, etc., because they are part of my reality. When I first met my wife, I took her riding for the day on our third date. This is an educated woman (DVM) who is a very good driver with a spotless record. We were leaving the NW suburbs of Chicago on a Sunday morning and her comment was, "I can't believe how many motorcycles are out here today." I told her they were always out there, she just didn't notice them. Now that she has been on a motorcycle for a couple of years (and we are pretty high-mileage riders), she also spots them a mile away. They are now part of her reality.

We need to educate people and make them aware of us. Your local A.B.A.T.E. chapter should be doing something in that direction, whether it is at the high school level, the senior citizen centers, or anywhere that we can get the message out.

The other aspect is the basic inattention and distraction of drivers in general and the laws concerning electronic devices have to change as well. I am just afraid that there are going to be a lot of deaths before that issue is taken seriously at the legislative level. I want to see cell phones, blackberries, GPS units, etc., all made illegal while the vehicle is in motion.

Quick Reply: Another "Brother" down .