Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I cut my Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Jazz56
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I cut my Windshield?

Had my 98 RKC about 4 weeks now and I've had the windshield on a few times. I'm 5'9" and the top of the shield is right in my sight line. It shakes and bounces up and down when I ride and is pretty annoying. I wonder if I cut it down so I can see clearly over it will it still work as well? Would I get buffeting? I measured from the headlight cut out to the top and it's 20", I think if I cut it down to 17" I'll be able to look over it. I'm just afraid to do it. Anybody cut theirs down like this? How was it? Thanks, Shane

[IMG]local://upfiles/28486/DF3573B0FCFB4878A114CFF64845B3E5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-26-2007, 07:34 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Should I cut my Windshield?

In a word... YES. I cut my EGlide shield down yesterday. Took a ride later on in the evening and it finally felt natural to not be looking through the very top edge of the windshield,especially when cresting a hill and getting that dangerous split vision thing. I went down to about 10 inches height center of the shield. I forget its there now..like it should be.A friend of mine had a glass place cut and polish the Lexan shield for 25.00. First of all customheight is a now an option rather than off the shelf height and its way cheaper than even an Ebay shield plus whattaya gonna do with your stock one once its off?? No one wants it... Figure where you want it and take it to a glass place.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:35 PM
tizone
Tourer

Hi Shane,

Here is my opinion. A buddy of mine cut his windshield down to solve this problem. He spend about an hour getting it just right and spent some more time polishing the edge to finish it nicely and he liked it quite a bit. About 1 week ago I spent $32 on a nice FastAire windscreen with a dark "sunglasses" tint. It was a perfect size and handles wind better. The tint is great too although I may pick up a lighter tint version if I decide to do a lot of night riding.

When my buddy saw my windscreen he ordered one the next day. I guess that my point is.... for only $30 bucks... maybe think about saving yourself the trouble of cutting the stock screen and pick up a much improved version that is the height you want and adds to the appearance and comfort of the bike.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:36 PM
FreedmRider
Road Captain

Many folks have done this. It is easy if you have some basic tools. Billnourse has some detailed instructions on how to do it. Do a search and check the DIY section, it is in there some where. I can see over mine and have no real buffeting.

If you are not exactly sure how much to take off do an inch or so at a time....you can always cut more off, you just can’t add it back on....

Old 06-26-2007, 07:39 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Tizone....Dude, Doylestown. East Stroudsburg here. Not too far away. I want to go for ride right now but have my 3 kids until 730 when the wife gets home. Now at that time its like bug central here to ride. My bike always looks like hell after a 0730-0830 Pm ride. Oodles of dead splattered bugs...

Old 06-26-2007, 09:12 PM
curmudgeon
Cruiser

Fredomrider is right. Don't cut all three inches at once. I did about 1 1/2" (I'm 6'3") and should have started with just cutting 3/4".
I can see better but now get so much boombing noise from my helmet that I tend not to wear it.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The easiest thing to do is make a mark with non-permanent marker or pinstripe tape , and go 1" or 2" down and ride for a couple days.
You'll get a feel for what would be irritating with this method.
You may find as I did that 1" makes a bunch of difference and like has been said , you can't put it back on if you went too far.
I use a bandsaw for my shields and it makes a nice cut that can be cleaned quickly with sandpaper and a wood block afterwards.
I found that a half inch either way can be seen quite easily when riding.
Go small and work your way to perfect.
Mick

Old 06-27-2007, 12:59 AM
Jazz56
Cruiser

Lots of good ideas. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Mako Shark
Advanced

I have a road king windshield that has been cut to a little over 16".
$ 20 bucks plus shipping. Not perfect, but one to practice with.
No hardware.
I went with a clearview with the recurve.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:18 AM
tizone
Tourer

Hey Hogdad... I rode home from work a few nights ago around 830pm up Route 29 along the river. The bugs illuminated by my headlight were crazy! It looked just like I was riding in a snowstorm there were so many of them.

It was still a great ride...

PM me if you ever want to get together for a ride. I want to take a trip to the shore one of these days. Maybe Belmar.

Quick Reply: Should I cut my Windshield?