Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultima ignition on 96 ultra classic with efi

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 04:54 PM
Ultra9617
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ultima ignition on 96 ultra classic with efi

Hey all, new here. Just got a 1996 ultra classic with efi. I got it from my father in law. He said it was idling super high on start up like 5000 rpm. He ordered and installed a ultima adjustable ignition system for it because he found the factory cam sensor melted under the timing cover. The bike hasn't run since. I don't think that ignition is compatible with this bike but cannot get a solid answer. I tested today and the injectors aren't firing. I sent power to one injector while the key was on and it sprayed fuEl I hit the starter it hit then died. Will not fire injectors on its own. Does anyone know how this could be? I'm new to Harleys but am an automotive tech by trade. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:04 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Untima makes several systems that do fit your 96 Ultra Classic - for example this one http://www.ultimaproducts.com/singlefireignition.html

Your high RPM issue is most likely caused by a bad engine temp sensor so deal with this first before making other changes.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...ion-issue.html

You can also check and adjust the idle settings following this proceedure https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...djustment.html

Old 07-01-2018, 05:34 PM
Ultra9617
Novice

He ordered the 53-660. Any idea if that's my problem?

Old 07-01-2018, 06:19 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

That kit should work. Unfortunately, I can't find the instructions online, however, they should have been included with the kit. Definitely worth going back through the installation instructions to see if a step was missed? Double check the switch settings, static timing, wiring, etc.

Do you know what caused the original cam sensor to melt?

Old 07-01-2018, 06:28 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

See here .. should be the same install

Old 07-01-2018, 06:34 PM
Ultra9617
Novice

Unfortunately I don't know what caused the original to melt. I have checked everything I know I have the instructions for the kit and everything is wired properly. It has good spark the static timing is dead on. From videos ive watched on the install of that part the factory coil wiring attaces using ring termianls where my factory coil is a factory sealed connector. The injectors aren't firing is the only thing going on that I can tell. This kit shouldn't affect fuel from what I understand. Before this kit was installed it ran just very high rpms.

Last edited by Ultra9617; 07-01-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 07-01-2018, 09:33 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Kinda concerned about the melted CAM sensor as that sends a signal to the ECM, however, if you say even with the melted CAM sensor the bike fired up then that would imply something is not wired correctly and possibly fuse blown?

Check Fuses
  • 15 AMP Fuel Pump Fuse
  • ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Check 5 AMP ECM Fuse
Let’s check to see if any Trouble Codes are presentECM
  • ​​​​​​​52, 53, 54, 55
  • any would indicate ECM failure
Fuel Pump
  • ​​​​​​​33 – bad fuel pump relay
When the ignition switch is turned “ON” you should hear the fuel pump energize
  • ​​​​​​​It requires the CAM position sensor signal to be present otherwise it shuts off the fuel pump

Old 07-01-2018, 09:34 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

This will be helpful so download a copy

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....roubleshooting

Old 07-02-2018, 06:11 AM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra9617
Hey all, new here. Just got a 1996 ultra classic with efi. I got it from my father in law. He said it was idling super high on start up like 5000 rpm. He ordered and installed a ultima adjustable ignition system for it because he found the factory cam sensor melted under the timing cover. The bike hasn't run since. I don't think that ignition is compatible with this bike but cannot get a solid answer. I tested today and the injectors aren't firing. I sent power to one injector while the key was on and it sprayed fuEl I hit the starter it hit then died. Will not fire injectors on its own. Does anyone know how this could be? I'm new to Harleys but am an automotive tech by trade. Can someone please point me in the right direction.
Welcome... Probably get more responses over in the EvoForum I have never heard of anyone using an aftermarket ignition with an EFI bike....The ECM controls all of your ignition adjustments on EFI bikes. The melting of the Cam Position Sensor is a know and common problem on these models. The part you need is listed here #11 The OEM sensor has a lean angle sensor built into it which shuts the bike off if it goes down. You can buy a Standard Motor Sensor without the LAS for a fraction of the coast. Read about it here. I would suggest you read IM's post #14 for lots or good info about know common problems with your bike and then read post 16 and on for the cheaper part. If you decide to go with the OEM part know that it has been updated and won't melt or at least mine hasn't so fat and I have been in 117 degree Nevada heat with it. Just wish I would have known about the alternative before I hashed out 160 for the OEM one. Good luck.

Last edited by rockhousebadboy; 07-02-2018 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:21 AM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Should have mention also that you really need to get a HD factory service manual for your bike. They are priceless when it comes to working on these old bikes. If you can't find one on eBay, they are still available from the dealer.

Quick Reply: Ultima ignition on 96 ultra classic with efi