Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra limited lower seat height & foot board height

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 05:18 PM
rjacobs
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Ultra limited lower seat height & foot board height

I just bought an 18 Ultra Limited. I need to get a lower seat for it... Im still contemplating, but will probably send the stock seat to Mean City Cycles... Need to call them and discuss.

I am in a quandry though.

As it is, I feel the foot boards are to high and to far back for me. My knees/thighs feel like they are at a positive angle when riding. They are not angled down at all. At best they are flat. I only have a 30" inseam so my legs are not long. I have no clue how somebody taller than me could ride like this. I am planning on getting the Kuryakan 1" forward and 1" out kit once its in stock(late august/early september). BUT I dont think that will address the fact that I think they are to high, couple that with a lower seat(I need at least 1", if not a bit more to be more comfortable at very slow speeds with my feet down like parking maneuvering or in slow heavy traffic) and the boards will likely put my knees at an upward angle.

Anything out there to alleviate this? Will the Kuryakan kit, even though its out and forward get my knees in a better position? I will also be doing highway pegs so obviously will have that option for foot position too.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:22 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,055 Likes on 4,358 Posts

Should have addressed this with the dealer, before you purchased, could have maybe negotiated a seat into it. There's lots of options for you, take your time and buy them right.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:23 PM
rjacobs
Tourer

Originally Posted by kel03
Should have addressed this with the dealer, before you purchased, could have maybe negotiated a seat into it. There's lots of options for you, take your time and buy them right.
I did... There was no negotiating a deal on a low seat and the price was dumb... plus I am not sold on the low seat after hearing all the complaints about them.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:15 PM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,333 Likes on 2,009 Posts

Have you looked at the mounts? There could be some adjustability there. Mine do. I know it’s apples to oranges, but worth a hard look.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:38 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

Drop the back a 1". Either 12" shocks or lowering blocks. Have your boot soles made thicker.

I've got a 30" inseam also. Been on dressers for 37 years. I started dropping mine 1" in the back about 4 years ago. Not as strong as I was as a pup. I've got almost 80,000 miles on the 12" Harley OEM adjustable shocks in last 4 years. I can easily flatfoot and knees are bent.

How many miles do you have on dressers? Maybe time and miles will help you feel more comfortable.

Can't help you on the floorboards. Perfect for me as is!

Good luck...

Old 06-25-2018, 06:41 PM
rjacobs
Tourer

Originally Posted by Red
Drop the back a 1". Either 12" shocks or lowering blocks. Have your boot soles made thicker.

I've got a 30" inseam also. Been on dressers for 37 years. I started dropping mine 1" in the back about 4 years ago. Not as strong as I was as a pup. I've got almost 80,000 miles on the 12" Harley OEM adjustable shocks in last 4 years. I can easily flatfoot and knees are bent.

How many miles do you have on dressers? Maybe time and miles will help you feel more comfortable.

Can't help you on the floorboards. Perfect for me as is!

Good luck...
I dont want to lower the bike at all. Its NOT that bad. I purposely didnt get a low due to not wanting to give up suspension travel, as well as the other stuff you lose on the low. We put a low seat on the standard model and height wise it was about perfect, but the price for the low seat is ridiculous when I can do the same aftermarket and get a better overall seat with gel/memory foam/etc...

This is my first touring bike, coming from a Heritage Classic.

But my main issue I am trying to address is my knees are already about level when I am riding and I feel my legs are cramped. When I drop the seat 1" it will only exacerbate this. The only plan I have come up with so far is the Kuryakan 1" out and forward kit for the floor boards as well as highway pegs to stretch out on.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:42 PM
rjacobs
Tourer

Originally Posted by Cozz
Have you looked at the mounts? There could be some adjustability there. Mine do. I know it’s apples to oranges, but worth a hard look.
zero adjustability.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:07 PM
sechracer
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 85 Posts

Not sure if this will help you but I had similar issues on my 10 ultra. I ended up getting a low seat then had Mean City do the super narrow mod to it with a tailbone channel. I also set my highway pegs so me heels are resting on the boards and my toes are on the pegs. This also made it so I could rest my heels on top of the peg and my legs are fully extended or anywhere I want in between. I did not use the out and forward 1" because I didn't want my boards out past my lowers....